Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarded voice messages to a cellphone and email

Thiago Gandara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi voice team,

i´d like to know, how to transfer the voice messages to a cellphone and email.

The user can listening the messages on both devices (cisco phone and your personal cellphone and email).

Thanks,

Thiago Gandara

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well, you have several options.  The best solution really depends on what your requirements are.  You can use the basic notification method where Unity Connection notifies a user on a device(s) when a message is left.  This is also referred to an as "outcall".  Another option is message relay.  Here a couple of blogs that may help with what that means/does:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/integrated-messaging-vs-unified-messaging.html

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/695-voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html

If you have Exchange, you could also set up the Single Inbox (i.e., Unified Messaging) feature that leverages WebDav (Exchange 2003) or Exchange Web Services (Exchange 2007/2010) to provide UM capabilities.

Depending on the requirement, you may even have a combination (e.g., UM + outcall, etc).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

If you do not have an SMTP server (i.e., Smart Host) for Unity Connection then you cannot do the message relay or SMTP notification methods.  They both require a smart host.  Unity Connection only delivers mail within its own SMTP domain and has to relay everything else to an off box host.

You can use the outcall (which is working) but the user will have enter their PIN.  As you found in your test, the alternate extension doesn't get around that.

Hailey

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What voicemail system and version are you running?  Give some details on the configuration.

Hailey

I´m using Cisco Unity Connection 8.6.

daviddperez09
Level 1
Level 1

assuming you're using unity, under "System settings", you will first need to configure an SMTP Server and Smart Host.

Once you have configured that, you go to the user who you want voicemail to be sent as an email. Once the user is selected, under "Edit", you will have "Message Actions". For the voicemail option, choose " Aceept and Relay the Message" and enter the users e-mail address for the "relay address". the MWI however will not turn off on the IP Phone until the message is listen to on the IP phone. I believe there is a way with MS Exchange to indicate the message was played via email to turn off the MWI

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

for Cell phones , the below is just an example.

On CUCM I'd create an ext  phone with the DID and do a CFNA/CFUnregistered and send it to UCxn,

like every other phone.   all calls will go directly to voicemail.  In Unity Connection, I go to my profile for my IP phone voicemail box  and set +14092228888 (as my mobile phone) as an alternate extension.

so the call is sent to Unity Connection.Unity Connection matches the number as an Alternate Extension to my production IP phone,

Well, you have several options.  The best solution really depends on what your requirements are.  You can use the basic notification method where Unity Connection notifies a user on a device(s) when a message is left.  This is also referred to an as "outcall".  Another option is message relay.  Here a couple of blogs that may help with what that means/does:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/integrated-messaging-vs-unified-messaging.html

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/695-voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html

If you have Exchange, you could also set up the Single Inbox (i.e., Unified Messaging) feature that leverages WebDav (Exchange 2003) or Exchange Web Services (Exchange 2007/2010) to provide UM capabilities.

Depending on the requirement, you may even have a combination (e.g., UM + outcall, etc).

Hailey

The customer have a Lotus notes server, and he did´t configured the smart host.

Attached its the SMTP config.

the smtp domain is the hostname of unity connection, thats rigth?

thanks.

To configure relay (or accept & relay) in Unity Connection, make sure you look at the following:

1. Configure a SMTP Smart Host (which is essentially a relay agent) (System Settings .. SMTP Configuration ( type the IP address of your exchange) .. Smart Host)

2. For the mailbox user, set the Message Actions to either "Relay the Message" or "Accept and Relay"

3. Provide a valid SMTP address or SMTP address pattern in the Relay Address field for the mailbox user

But how i can configure to send the voice message to my cellphone, i read the document and i do this procedure (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmac040.html#wp1278811 ) but doesnt work.

If you are going to forward the voice mail to an email address via SMTP, you need to ensure you have 2 things:

1. You must configure an SMTP smart host that Unity Connection can relay messages to. For all messages that are not within its local SMTP domain, it will simply relay those messages to the configured relay server. You also need to make sure that the relay server is configured to accept messages from Unity Connection.

2. Once the first item is working, you need to set the message relay action and a relay address for the subscriber as described earlier in this post.

Hailey

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ok, the client will configure the smart host on smtp server (he uses the lotus notes), now i need a help to configure on unity to send my voicemail (new messages) to my cellphone, i try to do this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmac040.html#wp1278784  but doesnt work.

thansk

SMTP Notification and relay are 2 separate functions. The relay will actually forward a copy of the voice message as an email to another email address, which you may (or may not) have set up on a mobile device. This will actually send the message with a .WAV attachment.

SMTP notification will send a notification to a specified email address. In other words, it's a message to basically say "hey, you have a new voicemail". It is essentially an alert, no attachment.

IMO, you most likely do not need to use both methods simultaneously...as that would be a bit redundant for the user.

In either case, you need the SMTP smart host to be configured and working.

Ok, i will use the relay to forward a copy of voice message with a .wav attachment.

But, i need to send a voice message to my cellphone to, how can i do this?

Thanks.

I assume that what you want to do with the cell phone is similar to the notification/alert I described above. You can set up a notification to call the user's cell phone. This is the outcall I described earlier. It is similar to the SMTP Notification but instead the systems CALLS a specified telephone number and plays a messages that basically says, "Hey, you have a new voicemail". Then the user has the option to login and listen to the message. You need to configure the out dial to place the call using any required offnet prefix (like 9 and then the number). You also need to ensure that the Restriction Table allows the call and that the CSS assigned to the Unity ports (for SCCP) or trunk (for SIP) allows Unity to call out as well.

I configured the outdial to my cellphone using the prefix 0, but how i can verify that the restriction table is allowed to make a call, and how to verify the css on unity ports, im using sccp phones.

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: