Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarded voice messages to a cellphone and email

Thiago Gandara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi voice team,

i´d like to know, how to transfer the voice messages to a cellphone and email.

The user can listening the messages on both devices (cisco phone and your personal cellphone and email).

Thanks,

Thiago Gandara

35 Replies 35

The Alternate Extension DOES NOT ring your cell phone.  The Notification Device does that.  My suggestion to use both of them together to see if the outcall will honor the option to bypass the PIN when calling from a known extension.  In other words, the Alternate Extension would be a known extension because it is associated with the user's mailbox.  However, the Notification configuration is calling OUT to the cell phone so it may not work as you would like...however, that is the scenario to test.

Hailey

I configured both together, the cellphone ring, but still need that i enter the PIN to listen my messages.

I checked the "Skip Pin when calling..." but dont work.

That was my suspicion so you have to make a decision as there is a tradeoff.  You can relay a copy of the message to an email address (again, this assumes that you do not have Exchange and ARE NOT using Unified Messaging integration).  If the user has a smart phone and can access the email account that you relay the message to then it would be a standard email with a .WAV attachment for playback (assuming the phone supports that - most do I'd think).  Trade-off is message status (read, unread, MWI) IS NOT synced with the Unity Connection mailbox or IP phone (i.e., for MWI).

If you do not want to relay the message but instead want to use the notification to outcall then the tradeoff is that the user will have to enter their PIN to listen to the message.

If you use both together then the tradeoff would be that this is likely a confusing (or annoying) end user experience because they not only get the message in email but they get called at the same time.

One last alternative:  You could set up an SMTP notification.  In this case, I would say that you would NOT use the message relay and you would also NOT use the outcall (i.e., notification) to a cell phone.  You WOULD configure the cell phone as an alternate extension with the option to skip PIN when calling from known extension.  The SMTP notification is similar to the outcall but is an email notification instead of an outcall.  In this case, the user would get an email (to an address they can check on their phone) that notifies them of a voice message.  They would then have to call into voicemail from their cell phone and would be sent to their voicemail (without entering PIN) since the cell phone would be an alternate extension.

Hailey

The SMTP option is out because the customer dont have a SMTP server. Alternate extension is the best option. But i don't know how to configure right.

If you do not have an SMTP server (i.e., Smart Host) for Unity Connection then you cannot do the message relay or SMTP notification methods.  They both require a smart host.  Unity Connection only delivers mail within its own SMTP domain and has to relay everything else to an off box host.

You can use the outcall (which is working) but the user will have enter their PIN.  As you found in your test, the alternate extension doesn't get around that.

Hailey

Ok, thats rigth.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: