cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO/FXS PCI-Express interface for VMware CUCM?

I've been looking to get off the Cisco forced obsolescence refresh cycle for a while now. Being forced to blow $15000 every 5 years just to keep using 75 basic desk phones with voice mail is such a joke. A Raspberry Pi VOIP server would probably cover our needs.

Fortunately it appears I can run CUCM 14+ as a straight VMWare virtual machine on any server hardware that can run VMWare and cut the Cisco server hardware out of the picture at least. 

Though the next question is the FXS/FXO POTS interface. I keep going in circles on the Cisco website trying to find whatever Cisco is doing here because in 2022, virtually every FXS/FXO product page says "this product is EOL and there is no recommended replacement".

Is there 3rd party compatible PCI Express FSX/FXO that I can use with CUCM on VMware, like the Digium / Sangoma 1A4B00F Voice Interface card?

2 Replies 2

Is has been possible for a long time to run the VMs for Cisco UC services on non Cisco hardware. Basically anything on the compatibility list for VMware is fine, as long as it complies with the specs needed for Cisco UC services.

No you can not use any of these cards. The current options for FXO ports is AFAIK to use the ISR 4K platform and add NIM card(s) as needed. For FXS the same option would apply and also VG320/350 can be used.

Response Signature

I've been doing some more research. There at least one compatible external FXS/FXO to SIP gateway. 

• Mediatrix C731 – 4 FXO / 4 FXS - certified with CUCM - MSRP $898

vs 

• ISR4321-SEC/K9 - Cisco 4321 router with two module slots - MSRP $4510
  • NIM-4FXO module - MSRP $1447 
  • NIM-4FXS module - MSRP $1429
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: