Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO port - Call Restriction

blackswans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My fxo port; which is on our gateway router for my call manager is connected to another pbx. I do not want the pbx users call the outside from the router. I only want them to call call manager extensions. How can I call restrict that fxo port?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you did not block incoming calls on the incoming call-leg associated with the FXO, then yes the PBX calling party will be able dial PSTN numbers in that case and use dial-peer 2.

However, in this instance all incoming calls will be through dial-peer 1 and not 2. The translation-profile will only apply to these incoming calls.

For example, PBX user dials 90123456789, the translation-profile that is applied to the incoming dial-peer 1 will translate the called number and block it. Therefore the call will be blocked so the outgoing dial-peer 2 will not be used.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Firstly is the gateway MGCP controlled or H.323? Do you know what digits are passed by the PBX? I would not expect the pbx trunk to be configured so that more digits are passed than the internal dial-plan. Unless you are using PSTN breakout?

With MGCP you can simply configure the incoming CSS on the FXO port to simply contain the PT_Internal partition, or the partition you simply assign to your IP Phone DNs Line. Ensure that you exclude the partitions which are assigned for PSTN breakout from this CSS.

With H.323, if you are passing different digit length patterns, then in order to avoid patterns matching your outbound POTS dial-peers you can simply apply a translation profile on the voice-port which will reject or block patterns starting with a 9 for example?

HTH

Allan.

Unfortunately this is not a MGCP controlled, it is H323 so I need to make the config at the router. Yes there are dialpeers beginning with 9 and I should reject 9 coming from that fxo. So I need a translation pattern I think like you said. Do you have any example?

Here is an example:-

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 reject /^9/

!

voice translation-profile Reject9

translate called 1

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots (FXO port dial-peer)

translation-profile incoming Reject9

HTH

Allan.

But I think this will also reject the internal call manager users to call outside? Cant we make the translation profile on the voice-port?

This should not be the case, are you using the FXO port for PSTN breakout across the PBX?

The translation-profile is only applied to the incoming call-leg not the outgoing call-leg.

Therefore if a CallManager extension was dialling 9......, then the call will be routed as the outgoing call-leg via the FXO port if the destination pattern on the dial-peer was something like 9T.

When you mentioned that you wanted to block PBX users from dialling externally I assumed that you had a seperate outgoing trunk to the PSTN. In which case your destination-pattern 9T will be on a different dial-peer and not on the FXO.

HTH

Allan.

User---PBX---FXO=(Gateway)=--CallManager--User

There is another pri port in the gateway. The call manager users are calling outside from this port. So what I want is the user in pbx shouldnot make a call from otis pri port in the gateway. He should call only Call Manager users.

The users go out from the gateway 9T from the dial peer which points to the pri port.

Hi Okan, the translation-profile which will be applied to the incoming call-leg should not affect Callmanager users dialling 9 for PSTN breakout.

With reference to my previous example, as below, it is only the incoming call-leg on the pots dial-peer 1 which will reject all called numbers starting with 9.

The other incoming called numbers not starting with the digit 9 will not be matched incoming from the PBX leg and will not be blocked.

The incoming CallManager call-leg will be your VoIP dial-peer, and dial-peer 2 in this example will be your outgoing call-leg. Therefore the translation profile will not be applied to either of these.

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 reject /^9/

!

voice translation-profile BlockPSTNAccess

translate called 1

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

translation-profile incoming BlockPSTNAccess

voice-port x/y (FXO Port)

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 9T

voice-port a/b (PRI Port)

Hope this helps..

Allan.

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 reject /^9/

!

translate called 1

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 9T

What I dont understand here is the user which is connected to the fxo port, cant he use the dial-peer 2 ?

Dont we need to write the translation profile to the voice-port x/y (fxo port)

If you did not block incoming calls on the incoming call-leg associated with the FXO, then yes the PBX calling party will be able dial PSTN numbers in that case and use dial-peer 2.

However, in this instance all incoming calls will be through dial-peer 1 and not 2. The translation-profile will only apply to these incoming calls.

For example, PBX user dials 90123456789, the translation-profile that is applied to the incoming dial-peer 1 will translate the called number and block it. Therefore the call will be blocked so the outgoing dial-peer 2 will not be used.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

You say this yes I do not want this happen so is the config below is the thing that I need to have?

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 reject /^9/

!

translate called 1

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 155

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 9T

voice-port x/y

So the users cannot cannot use the pri port...

Configuring the translation-profile on either the dial-peer or voice-port will have the same desired effect.

Unfortunately you misunderstood me, the pots dial-peer 2 for the PRI will never be used by PBX users providing the translation-profile is applied to the incoming called number whether it is on the dial-peer or voice-port.

That is what I meant, when I said yes they will be able to use the PRI pots dial-peer. If there was no call blocking applied on the incoming dial-peer 1, then the called number 9...... will be forwarded out of the outgoing dial-peer 2 as it will match 9T.

This will never happen if you have the call blocking on the incoming dial-peer for the PBX.

Hope this clarifies it for you, sorry for the confusion.

Allan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: