cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO port message waiting capabilities

Brian Ambrose
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having much difficulty confirming whether or not FXO cards support incoming visual MWI notification from the telco. I'm fully aware that FXS ports can provide VMWI to compatible analog phones but I want to know about FXO receiving capabilities. My configuration is a call manager express router terminating three POTS on an FXO card. I have four IP phones hanging off the router. The telco can give me message waiting indication by way of stutter tone as well as "message waiting lamp". This means either FSK tones or a change in voltage on the POTS line. I do not want to utilize stutter tone as it requires the user to pick up a phone and go off-hook on a specific POTS line. I know plain analog phones hanging directly on the POTS line can detect these signals coming from the telco, but can the FXO port also detect this?

-Brian

1 Reply 1

I don't think this is supported. I didn't see crystal document listing that but I saw this.

Note Message waiting indicator (MWI) integration is not supported for PSTN access to voice-mail systems at central locations.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/SCCP_and_SIP_SRST_Admin_Guide/srst_voicemail.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: