cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO Testing

shaucall46
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers set up in lab prior to deplyments router A has a FXO card(with nothing plugged into it) Roter B has a FXS card with analogue phone attached.

All tests OK, dial-peers OK and I can do test calls using csim start from Router A and B.

On Router A I have voice port configured with PLAR to automatically ring FXS on Roter B and I am sure I will have no issues when I deply.

However for scientific purposes can I test this, is there any test function in ourder I can force the FXO port and indoing this the PLAR function will ring the phone, basically I want to test the FXO.

I looked at some of the test voice port commands but couldnt get it to do what I wanted.

Any thoughts appreciated

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no way to test an FXO within the IOS. You'll need an endpoint to perform the call setup just as you did and as explained on this document:

"The easiest empirical way to do this is to connect the FXO port to             a known functioning FXS port, such as an VIC-2FXS, VIC2-2FXS, VIC-2DID (in FXS             mode), VIC-4FXS/DID (in FXS mode), NM-HDA FXS, or EVM-HD FXS port on another             (or even same) Cisco voice gateway. In this case, a straight-through, two-wire             RJ-11 connection should be used. The aim here is to verify that one voice             gateway can signal the other over the connection and draw a dial tone from the             peer gateway."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00803736c1.shtml

Regards, 

Tere. 

If you find this post helpful, please rate!

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

View solution in original post

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Dear

You have to connect your FXO to a landed line to do a test and behind your router you can attach your cisco IP phone.

You can use debug vpm signal with "term monitor enable  (If it's good, you'll see things like CALL_PROC, VOICE_CUTOVER, etc.)

which enable you track the standard debugs with Caller ID feature turned on. These debugs are analyzed from the perspective of the terminating router and its FXO port; the caller ID is sent from this end.

some helpfull commands to check you configuration

R#show voice port 1/0
(you must find the below)
 Connection Mode is plar
 Connection Number is xxxx

thank you
please rate if this will help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no way to test an FXO within the IOS. You'll need an endpoint to perform the call setup just as you did and as explained on this document:

"The easiest empirical way to do this is to connect the FXO port to             a known functioning FXS port, such as an VIC-2FXS, VIC2-2FXS, VIC-2DID (in FXS             mode), VIC-4FXS/DID (in FXS mode), NM-HDA FXS, or EVM-HD FXS port on another             (or even same) Cisco voice gateway. In this case, a straight-through, two-wire             RJ-11 connection should be used. The aim here is to verify that one voice             gateway can signal the other over the connection and draw a dial tone from the             peer gateway."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00803736c1.shtml

Regards, 

Tere. 

If you find this post helpful, please rate!

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Dear

You have to connect your FXO to a landed line to do a test and behind your router you can attach your cisco IP phone.

You can use debug vpm signal with "term monitor enable  (If it's good, you'll see things like CALL_PROC, VOICE_CUTOVER, etc.)

which enable you track the standard debugs with Caller ID feature turned on. These debugs are analyzed from the perspective of the terminating router and its FXO port; the caller ID is sent from this end.

some helpfull commands to check you configuration

R#show voice port 1/0
(you must find the below)
 Connection Mode is plar
 Connection Number is xxxx

thank you
please rate if this will help

shaucall46
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for the responses guys, just what I thought and rigged up a test using FXS, guess I wanted to be lazy and hope there was a function in IOS to do this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: