Views
Helpful
Replies

Group PickUp giving Temporary Failure error on 9971 phone

Josef Sammut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am experiencing issues with the group pickup on one of the high end phones in my deployment.

I have BLF Speed Dials configured on the phone, and when I try to pickup a call of an extension that I am monitoring I recive the message of 'Temporary Failure' on the phone.

Did any of you experience this issue before?

13 Replies 13

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Josef,

Have you assigned the correct pickup group to the users?

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

The phone set belongs to the main desk, which is monitoring mutliple users through the BLF SD. When I am monitoring a user who is receiving a call, the BLF starts blinking. As soon as I press BLF SD softkey to pickup the call I receive the error.

I have enabled the Call pickpup tickup in the assignment of BLF SD.

Thanks so far

You need to assign the phone and the extensions it wants to pickup to the same pickup group. It is not automatic.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Agreed.

But I am monitoring multiple users who belong to mutliple pickup groups. And I read cisco document that you cannot have more than 10 pickup groups configured in one pickup group.

Do you know of a workaround for this?

You need to use the feature called "other group pickup"

Other Group Pickup

The Other Group Pickup feature allows users to pick up incoming calls in  a group that is associated with their own group. The Cisco Unified  Communications Manager automatically searches for the incoming call in  the associated groups to make the call connection when the user  activates this feature from a Cisco Unified IP Phone. Use the softkey,  OPickUp, for this type of call pickup.

When more than one associated group exists, the priority of answering  calls for the associated group goes from the first associated group to  the last associated group. For example, groups A, B, and C associate  with group X, and the priority of answering calls goes to group A, B,  and then C. First, group X picks up incoming call in group A, though a  call may have come in earlier in group C than the incoming call in group  A.

Read more about it here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmfeat/fscpickg.html#wp1091498

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Josef,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my buddy Deji (+5 "D")

Maybe you are hitting this bug;

BLF Call PickUp failed if "Auto Call Pickup" is false.

CSCuf20232

If so, have a look at this CUCM setting for Auto Call Pickup;

Setting the Service Parameters for Call Pickup

Cisco Unified Communications Manager provides three clusterwide service  parameters for call pickup features: Auto Call Pickup Enabled, Call  Pickup Locating Timer, and Call Pickup No Answer Timer. Each service  parameter includes a default and requires no special configuration.

Auto  Call Pickup Enabled—Default specifies False. This parameter determines  whether the auto call pickup feature is enabled. To enable this  capability, set the field to True.

Call  Pickup Locating Timer—Default specifies 1 second. This service  parameter specifies the maximum time, in seconds, for a pickup to wait  to get all alerting calls in the pickup groups from all of the nodes in  the cluster.

Call  Pickup No Answer Timer—Default specifies 12 seconds. This required  parameter specifies the maximum time, in seconds, to wait before  restoring the original call if a user, who initiates a pickup request,  decides not to pick up the call.

Note To set the timers, choose System > Service Parameters, choose the Advanced icon or click the Advanced button, and update the fields in the Clusterwide Parameters (Feature-Call Pickup) pane.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmfeat/fscpickg.html#wp1059547

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

Thanks aokanlawon for your reply and assistance so far, I am very grateful for your support. And even you rob.huffman
both of you provided me with good advise.

Trying to explain my self a bit more:

I have 24 pickup groups each having a different number of users belonging to each group.

From a main phone (9971 Series) with three expansion modules I am monitoring users who belong in those 24 pickup groups.

I tried to create 3 pickup groups as follows:

A= First 10 pickup groups

B= Second batch of10 pickup group

C= The remaining 4 pickup groups + Pickup group A and pickup group B.

To the 9971 I assigned pickup group C and it is able to pickup calls of users which belong to the first 4 pickup groups. However, it is not capable to pickup calls from groups A and B.

rob.huffman It could be that I am experiencing the bug you mentioned since my Auto Call Pickup Enabled is set to false. Do you suggest to try and change this to true, in order to solve the issue?

Many Thanks and appreciation,

Josef

Josef,

This is what the "other group pickup" feature is about. You can associate pickup groups to pickup groups..Take a few minutes and read about it..then let us know if you have nore questions

Hi Josef,

Yes, the bug I linked is specific to 99xx series so please

try to set this to true

Auto   Call Pickup Enabled—Default specifies False. This parameter determines   whether the auto call pickup feature is enabled. To enable this   capability, set the field to True.

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

I did enable the service parameter for the Auto Call Pickup Enabled to true. I have also set the softkey button to Other pickup instead of group pickup.

I know that I am repeating this, but is there something wrong with this setup:

I tried to create 3 pickup groups as follows:

A= First 10 pickup groups

B= Second batch of10 pickup group

C= The remaining 4 pickup groups + Pickup group A and pickup group B.

To the 9971 I assigned pickup group C and it is able to pickup calls of users which belong to the first 4 pickup groups. However, it is not capable to pickup calls from groups A and B.

When I try to pickup an ext. which belongs to pickup groups A and B using the other Pickup I receive the message "No Call available for pickup"

Thanks

Josef

Josef,

Did you associate the pickup groups in A to the pickup group your 9971 phone is in?

You will see where to associate this in "Current Associated Call Pickup Groups"

aokanlawon Can you kindly reply because I didnt quite understand your instructions.

Kind regards.

What I am saying is..on each pickup group you can associate another pickup group. Have you done that for pickup groups in A to the pickup group that you have assigned to your 9971 phone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: