paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kalbasha0 wrote:

What is disadvantage of advantage of H.323

vs MGCP?

any idea

Thx

Please use the search function this has been discussed so many times.

I did , however no luck

any help you may provide it will be greatly appreciated

In the search box above, enter "h.323 vs mgcp".

Happy reading.

We have an official document for this, too:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00806fedbe.shtm

Removed /partner/ from URL so non partners can access it.

Message was edited by: Steven Holl

kalbasha0
Level 1
Level 1

I received an error

Forbidden File or Application

Q is this a correct statement

The main reason I would use MGCP over h.323 is for failover.  If you are using a h.323 gateway and your primary callmanager goes down the calls will be dropped.  With mgcp the gateway calls will be failed over to the secondary callmanager and the calls will stay up.

According to H.323 gateway confg

There is 2 VOIP statements apply with a

Session target ipv4: Primary Call manager IP address

And Subscriber IP address

Can you explain?

Thx

I edited the link; it should work now.

kalbasha0 wrote:

Q is this a correct statement

The main reason I would use MGCP over h.323 is for failover.  If you are using a h.323 gateway and your primary callmanager goes down the calls will be dropped.  With mgcp the gateway calls will be failed over to the secondary callmanager and the calls will stay up.

This is true.  Q.931 terminates on CUCM with MGCP.  If CUCM goes down, the q.931 channel needs to failover to the router to take calls for SRST, which means active calls will drop.

To go along with Steve's note, this would imply that MGCP calls would drop when connection is lost to Call Manager, where with H323 as q.931 is terminating at the gateway itself and not Call Manager, if contact is lost with Call Manager, the call will not drop and will be preserved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: