Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 Outbound FastStart. Software MTP and codecs

tikhonovoleg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

Now, this is a kinda lame question which bugs me. It is said that whenever we seek h.323 outbound faststart an mtp resource must be injected in the call.

Imagine that we only have CUCM-based MTP which is only capable of 711 codec, in such case we'd be limited to said codec for all outbound h.323 calls with faststart enabled.

The question here is why CUCM MTP can not allow other codecs? I mean, it has all the info about calling device (e.g. it's a sccp cisco ip phone) and its capabilities, it also has knowledge of regions/locations so it is possible to shortlist desired codecs even further.

Cheers

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all why do you need to use fast start?

MTP is codec specific, but you can define multiple software MTPs with different codecs on your GW.

Chris

My question is more theoretical than practical. So, lets assume that IOS MTP is not an option for the sake of discussion.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order to use fast start you need MTP, I don't think cucm can provide non G729 MTP resource, so your option would be ios MTP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: