cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H323 gateway and SIp trunk

miket
Level 5
Level 5

I was wondering two things one if you have an h323 gateway and a SIP trunk will the bind command on the interface interfere with each other.

Also does the SIP trunk always up between the SP and the cube gateway (4321 ISR)

It doesn't seem so. It looks like the link comes up when you make a call.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
H.323 and SIP are two independent protocols. The binds don't interfere with eachother. SIP has a concept of media and signalling binds. H.323 does not have this concept of two different binds.

SIP trunk is just a L7 application running over IP. So as long your IP interface/network/connectivity is functional, your SIP trunk remains functional as well. It is unlike a TDM b-channel.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
H.323 and SIP are two independent protocols. The binds don't interfere with eachother. SIP has a concept of media and signalling binds. H.323 does not have this concept of two different binds.

SIP trunk is just a L7 application running over IP. So as long your IP interface/network/connectivity is functional, your SIP trunk remains functional as well. It is unlike a TDM b-channel.

Thank I had to ask I do know they are different protocols but soon soon as I added my h323 gateway my sip stopped working. That was the only new config I had.

Thank you for quick reply

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It should not happen taken the fact that you need not overlap your already existing dial plan on the gateway which might have caused H.323 config to take precedence over SIP. Other than that, they both can exist on the same router at the same time.