cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help on upgrade of 8961 firmware from v9.0-1SR1 to v9.0.4 in UCM 7.1.3

TelTechN2deep
Level 1
Level 1

Help!  I've never done this before and from what I'm reading this has to be done from either a FTP/SFTP or TFTP server.  Right?  After the code is installed you must restart the TFTP service and each UCM server in the cluster?  How do I find out where the needed FTP/SFTP or TFTP server UCM is talking to is located?  Thanks...

11 Replies 11

TelTechN2deep
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Art, that link did indeed help!  Funny thing is that I had read that doc before but had scanned through so quick I missed it!

Can anyone confirm that after the firmware load is on all UCM servers, the TFTP has to be restarted AS WELL AS the UCM itself?  If so, this also has to be on each server, right?  Also, can this be something that is scheduled or has to be manual?

Thanks

Hi, glad it helped

My understanding is that you do NOT need to stop/start the CUCM, only the TFTP service and only on the CUCMs that it is active on.  Chances are it is only active on 2 CUCMs in the cluster (unless this is a biggee).

HTH,

Art

You're correct; only the TFTP service needs to be restarted. The reason for this is that all of the files are loaded into memory at service startup to improve performance. The install scripts update the file system but these changes are not picked up by the service until a process restart.

TelTechN2deep
Level 1
Level 1

I can see the files in the "TFTP File Management" but I'm still not seeing this current file as the load looking at the Device Defaults.  I've already restarted the TFTP service twice but it doesn't seem to take hold.  I seem to remember reading something about having to restart the server for these type of firmware files on this phone.  (.cop.sgn - - files)  Is this all that it is or am I doing something wrong?  I am thinking I'm seeing them there correctly, but in fact do I have to go do something else?? 

Thanks

Did you run through the .cop.sgn file on the publisher first? It needs to update the database before running through it on the subscribers.

Yes, I put it on the pub. first and then restarted the TFTP service.  I haven't seen it take hold so I haven't restarted the service in the sub.'s yet.  Keep in mind like I said, this is all new to me!  When you say to run through the .cop.sgn file, what do you mean exactly?  I'm seeing it in the TFTP File Management...forgive my ignorance.  That's where I don't know if I'm missing some steps or just need to restart the server(s) in fact.

Thanks

I'm seeing it in the TFTP File Management..

Wait. You see the actual .cop.sgn file?  There's our problem; this is an installer file. Log in to OS Administration and choose the Install/Upgrade software. You need to do this on each node starting with the publisher and then restart the TFTP services.

Good Catch - +5

TelTechN2deep
Level 1
Level 1

If this ends up being that the server(s) have to be restarted, does anyone know if this is something that can be scheduled or does it have to be manual?

Thanks

TelTechN2deep
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to both of you guys for your help.  Bottom line ends up being that you have to use a TFTP or SFTP/FTP server to properly load the installer file to be enabled.  I didn't know any better from the start what server our CUCM was using or how to find it.  I ended up putting an SFTP server on my desktop and using it to upload the file (which I copied into a folder on my local from a network drive) to the UCM to work correctly.  I had already put the file in the TFTP File Management...but not with a server and it was from a network drive to begin with.  So...I had the file name and location from the network drive but it couldn't do anything with it in UCM.  I could've put a TFTP server on my machine to work like the SFTP I ended up using...from what I understand.  Anyway, once installed I restarted the TFTP service and the new load was active.  I did do this on the other 3 subscribers as well.  It is also correct that you don't need to restart the servers in doing this.  (Although I thought I saw something in a Cisco document that stated you needed to restart the server when working with .cop files.)  Thanks again to you both for your input and feedback.