cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help VoIP bandwith calculation over an SD-WAN Link.

Hi Pals,

We were discussing today about how much bandwidth we need to allocate per call or per connection to incoming and outgoing voice. SD-WAN has for some reason degradated the quality of the normal voice operation compared against the MPLS or Metro-Ethernet.

I am trying to figure it out: 1. if the Legacy VoIP Standard also applies to the SD-WAN and how much percentage needs to be assigned to voice.

IE:

300 ms latency

30 ms jitter

1% packet drop.

30% bandwidth allocated to priority for voice

is all that still valid for SD-WAN?

2. Also, please help me to answer this question.

How much bandwidth per call do I need to allocate from my links if the codec is G711 or G729.

I know we need to calculate payload, L2, L3/UDP overhead... and that's it? no GRE or IPSEC or Site to Site VPN? for the calculation?

Thank you very much for your help.

2 Replies 2

The encryption protocol header(s) would need to be included in the L3 overhead in your calculation. What medium are you using for your SD-WAN?

Response Signature

Well, the way I think the way we are doing it, is:...

SDWAN Device --> Ethernet Cable --> Cox Internet --> Coaxial Cable --> SDWAN Carrier MPLS Cloud 1 --> ENTERPRISE MPLS Cloud 1  --> Enterprise Data Centers.

We are using the local internet as a undelay connection to route to the SDWAN Carrier MPLS Cloud 1 then Enterprise MPLS.

Do you guys have a recommendation for G711 QoS for these cases?