cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with CCNA Voice Home Lab

edramirez4343
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There.  I am trying to setup a home lab for CCNA voice and have reached some obstacles that I could use some help with.  I purchased a 2811 Router running the C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M image with version 15.1(4)M3.  I also purchased a Unity Express AIM Module for it.  The router did not have the CME software in flash, but I assume that I am able to turn up a couple of phones on it as it has the telephony-service commands available on it.  I looked at the compatibility matrix and it looks like I need CME-8.6-FULL software to be able to install it on my router.  Am I on the right track?  If so, how do I go about getting the CME software to put on it to move on to the next step of turning up my phones?  Any advice is much appreciated.

Eddie                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eddie,

Congrats on taking serious steps in learning Cisco UC.  You are correct that CME (telephony-service) is embedded in the IOS, so phones will register with it, however they will register with the default firmware version that the phones are on, so in order to be able to install phone firmware files and distribute those to the phones via TFTP from the router as well as get GUI files for web access you will need to download the appropriate .tar files and un-tar them into the router.  If you follow the admin guide it should provide you with everything you need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeinstl.html

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eddie,

Congrats on taking serious steps in learning Cisco UC.  You are correct that CME (telephony-service) is embedded in the IOS, so phones will register with it, however they will register with the default firmware version that the phones are on, so in order to be able to install phone firmware files and distribute those to the phones via TFTP from the router as well as get GUI files for web access you will need to download the appropriate .tar files and un-tar them into the router.  If you follow the admin guide it should provide you with everything you need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeinstl.html

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thank You Much Chris.  Your response is appreciated.  It seems like my next step is to get the CME-8.6-Full tarball to install on my router to flash my phones.  Since I don't work for a Cisco Partner or have an active Smart Net program, I donot have access to the download site.  Can you help me obtain that or provide a recommendation.  Thanks.

Unfortunately you have to be entitled to the downloads via a valid smartnet contract, and it would be illegal to obtain the files via different avenues, so I would not be able to get it to you.

Sorry,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: