cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hong Kong T1 - Primary-Net5 => no MGCP protocol on CCM

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Customer has a v8 CUCM system and is installing a gateway in Hong Kong.  They have the T1 (not an E1) up running Primary-Net5 protocols back to the CO. 

I know this is a common protocol, but I've never set it up with CallManager.  In looking through the interface, Net5 isn't even an option.  I dug around a bit, and found that apparently PRI EURO is the same thing (I'm certainly fuzzy on this), but that's not available for T1 under MGCP control of CallManager.

I'm not intimately familiar with this area of the world.  For a customer with Primary-Net5 is MGCP even an option, or is H323 the only way to support it?

It's always seemed somewhat odd to me that CallManager and IOS don't support all the same protocols. 

Any suggestions appreciated.      

5 Replies 5

jriacono5
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same situation coming up soon... Did you ever figure out the answer to this?

You can set any other switch protocol and most likely will work anyway.

Otherwise, use H.323, you will be in fully supported situation, and enjoy more features and berter stability.

Paolo,

>use H.323, you will be in fully supported situation, and enjoy more features and berter stability

You hit a nerve on this one.  I must respectfully disagree. 

H.323 does have some feature support that MGCP does not.  HOWEVER, if you use H.323 you LOSE the ability to monitor the gateway as part of an end to end system via RTMT. 

Any decision on what protocol you use on a gateway needs to consider (1) the technical requirements of the installation, (2) the ability of the customer to monitor and remediate issues on their equipment. 

Many customers I've worked with do not have sophisticated systems to monitor what's going on in the network, and end up using a combination of multiple tools to do their job.  The tools that do everything are priced so high that very few companies can afford them.  As such, RTMT is a big part of many of these systems.

As such, I would submit that you should use H.323 when appropriate.  If there are link stability issues back to CUCM, if you need a feature that doesn't exist in MGCP (like NFAS for instance), then definately use H323.  If you need end to end monitoring via RTMT, you need MGCP.

I think that as engineers we do an extreme disservice to our customers by telling them "H323 is best".  The answer should always be qualified based on the needs of the customer, and not the prejudices of the engineer. 

My two cents worth.  I respect you a lot Paolo, and have learned quite a bit from following your posts over the years.  I just disagree on this point with you (respectfully though).

Cliff

Thank you for the appreciation. There is no problem at all in speaking one's views.. The purpose of a technical forum is also to explain why certain decisions are taken, and you just did that.

How did you setup things in HK after all ?

After talking with Cisco TAC, and trolling through all the information I could get, I used H323.  There was no MGCP support for the Primary-NET5 under MGCP, so the technical requirements of the installation mandated H323 for that installtion.

Cliff