Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I get MAC address of the Hardphone from the PC

olcaytarazan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Basicly, i need to get MAC address of the Hardphone from the PC which phone is connected.I guess it should be somewhere in registry but i couldnt find

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The PC doesn't know it's there - there's no registry entry as the phone is just a seperate device on the LAN.

Typically products capture CDP to detect the phone info, but that generally relies on some sort of packet capture technology.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

Thanks for your Quick reply.

The device is connected to PC directly using ethernet cable. So all the communication is over the device and when i check with Wireshark, i can see CDP packages with DeviceID info. Since we have user account restrictions, I cant capture the packages directly.

What i wonder is if PC detect the phone info, what it does with this?I believe it should be stored somewhere.

Hi

That CDP is just background noise to the PC. If you look at your capture, you will see lots of broadcast and multicast traffic that the PC doesn't care about that is sent out from all sorts of devices on your LAN. The PC simply ignores anything it's not interested in, including CDP.

If you were running a program that was interested in CDP, it could collect that info.

If you have a capture running, you can capture it. Commercial programs sometimes use customised versions of WinPCAP that just capture CDP, and those capture drivers are installed with admin rights along with the main program so that it can be used by non-privileged users.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!