cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I configure Cisco 7970G Phone with SIP Firmware?

jcharles12
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to use this phone with my asterisk Pbx server, but first I need to flash the phone with sip firmware. I have read almost everything on how to do it but, I feel like I am getting nowhere. I am new to this. What is the correct firmware and where can I get it?  Please help explain how to configure this phone.

Thank You

18 Replies 18

I have good news!

I tried it once again  and walked away from the computer thinking nothing was going to happen.

When I came back the tftp log view was full of sending... recieving ... stuff.

And in fact the phone now is displaying things on the screen. It has a nice background picture and is also displaying the time and date. It is now saying the Call Control Protocol is SIP

I feel so relieved. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciated it.

Ok, the phone says Unprovisoned on the bottom, which means I need to configure my SEPMACADDRESS.cnf.xml  file.

Is there a good tutorial on the net that explains How to write this file.?

Hi Charles,

That is really indeed a good news.

So was this TFTP working after you creating the dhcp scope on the switch? Or dhcp was on your router itself?

The below urls will help to configure the xml files.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+7970+SIP

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79x1+xml+configuration+files+for+SIP

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you need any other help.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

I actually went on my Dell poweredge Home Server because I already had a dhcp server, so the ip address was handed to the phone. I changed the option 66 and 150 to be enabled server wide, instead of just my dhcp scope. I also installed the tftp program and changed the settings, and then I waited and then it started working.

Everything is working perfectly. Instead of the tftp server program being on my homeserver, I kind of want it to be on my home pbx server, which is running centos 6.2, and has a tftp server built in, so it would request files from that.

I am afraid if I change anything, it won't work again.

Since I can manual change the settings of the phone, maybe I can point to my pbx server ip, which has the tftp server on it. It should request the files in the TFTPBOOT directory right?

Thanks

Hi Charles,

Yes that is right. You can manaully configure the phones. I assume most of configuration parameters like SIP proxy ip address, port number etc...can be configured manually on the phone itself through the keypad.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf