cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I connect a CME router to the internet via an ISP Modem?

NicP270591
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This is my new challenge. I need to implement a 2811 into a site which already has internet connectivity from an ISP Router. It needs to be a set so the 2811 can be removed from the site with no config changes and the ISP router can continue as normal, for whatever reason we have not been authorised access to the ISP username/password so an ADSL HWIC is out of the question. Basically all the 2811 needs to do is control phones, and have a "passthrough" connection to the ISP router for SIP Trunks, just as if the 2811 was a regular PC connecting to the router. internet for computers will also go through the ISP router. The ISP device is a Netgear DG834GSP, which is a 4-port switch, modem and DHCP router all-in-one.

I was thinking the easiest way to accomplish this was to run a cat 6 cable from a port on the Netgear switch to FE 0/0 on the router, but am unsure of the right configuration, or if it was even possible to do this without the ISP passwords. The phones can either be DHCP or static, but the IP of the 2811 router needs to be fixed somehow, otherwise DHCP will change it constantly.

Thanks in advance,

Nic.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without you being offended by my remark, seems like you have no experience in Cisco networking or SIP trunking. Wouldn't be better to engage a professional to design and configure the entire solution ?

I know all of the basics and moderate level commands, I can configure a router with the basics very easily. It is unusual situations like this where I am unsure how to proceed, I have a few people I engage now and then, however I am trying to learn more advanced things by myself.

Thanks

Take a look on this doc may help you!

Regards!

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Nothing attached.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: