cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How so I stop my phones from getting an ip address from the data vlan?

jpiznar569
Level 1
Level 1

I work at for a school district with 16 buildings each with it's own voice gateway.  The gateway at the board office is supposed to be supplying the ip addresses to the phones there.  Instead the phones, 7905s, 7940s and 7960s,  are getting an ip address from the high school data vlan.  How do I fix this?  "ip dhcp pool IP_Phones" is setup on this buildings gateway with the correct address range and call managers.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At the interface level, you should have the following:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

switchport access voice vlan

Thanks for answering my question.  I assume I need to chang all of the phone interfaces all over the school district not just where I am having the problem.  After that, do I need to do something else?  Also, on the voice gateway the config for dhcp is "ip dhcp pool IP_Phones".  This was changed recently from "ip dhcp pool voice".  Which one is correct?

If your switchports do not have the voice VLAN configured you can get data addresses by default; this is a bad thing since you won't have QOS and phone call quality will be sacrificed. Posting a copy of the config of one of the switches would help us understand the bigger picture.

Attached is the config from one of the switch stacks at the Board Office.  I also included a show vlan.

Is switch 4 (FA4/0/1 through FA4/0/39) the only switch/ports you connect phones to?

I see it as the only one with voice VLAN's enabled; I would also recommend use of the built in smartport macro's for port configuration, I'm a fan of an over secure port in lieu of an under secured one, depending on the switch hardware and IOS; it also helps reduce administrative overhead by keeping configurations the same.  On a side note you may also want to setup NTP and logging to a  syslog server so that you can get alerts if something goes wrong with the switch, as well as disable http access, and add an administrative account as well rather then just the enable password.

Yes switch 4 is the only one in this stack that is handling phones.  It should be int fa4/0/1 through int fa4/0/48 though.

Are smartports configured through command line or Network Assistant?  I'm very new to this.  I got a crash course in writing in CLI but that is it.  I only downloaded the Network Assistant a few days ago and haven't had the time to do much with it.

You can do config from either but I prefer the CLI; network assistant is handy for comparing stacks and versions of IOS and what not, but I only make configuraiton changes via CLI.  What version of IOS are you running?  It does look like you are good through FA4/0/48 for voice.  Below is a snippet on macros from the 12.3.53 IOS guide; the complete guide for your version of IOS will go over exaclty how to implment the smart ports; otherwise go into config mode, then select the interface range to apply to, and apply the macro using the switchport and voice vlans, I can give you an example if necessary.

reggietuck
Level 1
Level 1

John, have you gotten this issue resolved. If not do you have a DHCP server that is issuing out the data IP address. If so on the switchport that this DHCP server is on remove the switchport voice command.

reggietuck wrote:

John, have you gotten this issue resolved. If not do you have a DHCP server that is issuing out the data IP address. If so on the switchport that this DHCP server is on remove the switchport voice command.

Actually, the suggestion above is completely ineffective. The command mention only does something when a phone is conected. It does nothing when anything else is connected.

Thanks for your posts.  I am still in the process of reconfiguring all of my POE switches to the config posted earlier.  I'm taking out all of the unnecessary stuff.  I'm still less than half way through all of those switches.  I am, however, still having the problem.

Use SmartPort Macros.  It's alot easier.  To remove un-neccessary lines from the interfaces, I would normally set the interface to default (command:  default interface ) and apply SmartPort Macros.