cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How the finesse or CAD controlls IP Phones?

Najil PP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have a query on the IPCC part. how the cad or finesse actually controls the ip phone. it will be through JTAPI link using CTI messages. but how exactly the signals flow. for example; when I  dial the digits in CAD or finesse; is it directly being passed to CUCM or through phones to CUCM. Just an explanation with a bit of examples would be more than helpful.

6 Replies 6

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whenever an user is dialing the number, the information is being passed from IP Phone to CUCM as it happens normally for any call. Finesse or CAD is only providing an interface to control the phone and allowing the user such as dialing the number, invoking conference transfer etc from the client directly rather than using the phone. At no point, UCCX is responsible for call routing, it only request CUCM to do so, basically UCCX and CM follows a Request-Response model wherein CCX request something to CM using Jtapi messages that then are forwarded to CTI Manager service on CM using the CTI-QBE protocol.

Regards

Deepak

Thanks for your reply.

So in that case, though we dial from CAD or finesse, we can get ccm logs with the Stationinit message from IP phone(SCCP). right?

The reason I  asked is because we used to get the issue wherein sometimes dtmf relay doesn't work if being dialed from CAD and it works with the ip phone. any thoughts on this.

So in that case, though we dial from CAD or finesse, we can get ccm logs with the Stationinit message from IP phone(SCCP). right?

Absolutely even though you are dialing it from CAD or Finesse, the number is still going out for Digit Analysis (DA) to CM and only then the call is getting extended.

The reason I  asked is because we used to get the issue wherein sometimes dtmf relay doesn't work if being dialed from CAD and it works with the ip phone. any thoughts on this.

Collect MIVR and JTAPI logs from UCCX along with CM and CTI logs from CM for one such scenario and then perform the analysis. Also, the point to note is that whether DTMF does not work outside of CCX or an option within the CCX Script, these are two different things remember.

Regards

Deepak

Okay. I understood  the big picture now. Appreciate your knowledge.

Now I will narrow this down to CAD and IP phone. as you said, CAD is just an interface for the IP Phone and actual signaling messages are being sent from phone.

My question is when I dial from CAD; there should be a communication between CAD and IP Phone right. that is how ip phone understood the dtmf pressed in the cad and ip phone sent it to the CUCM. what is that communication between CAD and ip phone so ip phone understand and relays the correct message.

And is there any possibility so that there is a miss in communication between cad and phone so that the dtmf was missed to reach to ip phone.

When you press any DTMF on CAD, the digit is send to UCCX and not to the phone, there is no direct communication between CAD and IP Phone at any point. UCCX then further rolls it down to CUCM using the Request-Response Model and CM then further talks with the required process such as DA, CdCc etc. Now if you are saying that sometimes DTMF from CAD does not work then we will need to check in the Jtapi logs whether UCCX is receiving it in the first place or not. If it is receiving the DTMF then whether it is sending the same to CM or not, if it is sending to to CM whether CM is acknowledging it and replying successfully or not.

Hence as I said if you can collect logs for one such scenario that will be great. You can attach the logs here as well if you want and I can take a look. Do not forget to provide the calling, called, approximate time of call, agentid, agent IPCC extension and the DTMF which you entered.

Regards

Deepak

Thanks Deepak for clarifying.

Probably we can clarify the above statement.

"So in that case, though we dial from CAD or finesse, we can get ccm logs with the Stationinit message from IP phone(SCCP). right?"

Probably in this case, we don't see staioninit messages for the dialed digit I belive since the digit is being passed by uccx to ccm not by phone. so probably ccm will collect the digits from CCX enbloc and pass it to CC for DA I belive. please correct me if I am not.

Thanks again.