cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to collect phone logs from a 7940?

TariqMK
Level 1
Level 1

So normally, we would navigate to the phone's IP, navigate to Device Logs > Console Logs and download from there.

However for the 7940 models, the 'Console Logs' button is not appearing. After some research I have concluded that it might be simply that the 7940s don't support such logs.

My questions are thus:

1. Is there any confirmation that 7940 models don't support Console Logs?

2. Is there any workaround? Perhaps SSH-ing to the phone itself and viewing logs there somehow?

Grateful for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I just checked 7940/60 do not support console logs as they are first generation phones however you should be able to do a telnet session to these phones if running SIP firmware. You need to enable the option " Telnet level for 7940 and 7960" which enables the telnet on these phones. The password for telnet i think should be cisco.

Try it and let me know if it works.

Aseem

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aseem Anand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the procedure you are following? Can you check if you tried the steps documented in the link below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/54251/collecting-console-logs-cisco-unified-7900-series-ip-phone

If you have tried the steps and you dont see the option to download console logs then send us the screenshot of the web page of the phone along with the firmware details.

Aseem

Hi Aseem,

I am indeed following the procedure listed above and can confirm that the phones have Web Access enabled.

Unfortunately the 'Console Logs' button as highlighted in your link does not appear for any 7940 phone.

Firmware used is 8.1(SR.2).

Thanks.

Hi,

Please share the screenshot showing the web page.

Aseem

Hi,

I just checked 7940/60 do not support console logs as they are first generation phones however you should be able to do a telnet session to these phones if running SIP firmware. You need to enable the option " Telnet level for 7940 and 7960" which enables the telnet on these phones. The password for telnet i think should be cisco.

Try it and let me know if it works.

Aseem

Hi Aseem,

I can confirm that this is the correct solution for my questions. These phones do not support console logs and I was able to telnet to the phone directly.

Thank you for your help.

Tariq

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: