cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a backup CUCM

andreac81_
Level 1
Level 1

In a network with many sites, in each site is installed a CUCM, I'd like to configure a centralized backup CUCM wich will work when one ore more local CUCM go down.

Is it possible? If yes, how can I configure the backup CUCM?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andrea,

To be a redundant/backup Communications manager you would have

to be part of the same "cluster" and setup in the same Callmanager group.

If you have multiple sites, I'm guessing you may have multiple "independant"

Communications manager servers that are not part of a cluster design. If that

is the case this would not be possible. This Cluster design requiremnets are nicely

noted in the SRND Guide below

http://www.ciscosystems.com.pe/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/callpros.html#wp1043559

Cheers!

Rob

If I have:

-multiple sites, (i.e. 3 sites) with a call manager in each site;

-all sites are connected with the public telephone network, so all sites have the same radical numer (i.e. +39065212) and each call manager manage a range of internal number.

For example:

- the first call manager manage internal numbers  from 0001 to 01000 (by external them are +39065212001 to +3806521200200)

-  the second call manager manage numberso from 01001 to 02000;

-  the third call manager manage numberso from 02001 to 04000;

I need having one or more call manager in another site (disaster recovery site). If one site is unavailable, the call manager have to replace the call manager installed in the unavailable site. For example if the first site is unavailable the call manager installed in the disaster recovery sites is powered on and have to manage the same internal numbers range of the first site (from 0001 to 01000)

If, in the disaster recovery site I configure 3 call manager eachone like a clone of the 3 call mnager installed in the 3 sites, can it works?

"If, in the disaster recovery site I configure 3 call manager eachone  like a clone of the 3 call mnager installed in the 3 sites, can it  works?"

There is no need to clone anything, that's the whole point of having replication within a cluster.

Now, the drawback on this is that you would need to buy another 3 licenses to do this.

If your server goes down you cannot instruct it to stop the ccm service and free the license.

Also, unless the CCM service is running you cannot configure them in a CCM group for failover.

The only backup and restore mechanism we support is DRS.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'm not expert about this, but I think that a cluster provides fault  tollerance in case of unavailability of a server.

I need to provide fault tollerance in a network that includes 3 different sites (3 buildings) and a disaster recovery site, so i need to provide service continuity also in case of unavailability of one of the 3 buildings.

Is it possible to solve this problem using a cluster?

Yes, as explained by Rob

"To be a  redundant/backup Communications manager you would have to be part  of the same "cluster" and setup in the same Callmanager group."

Just configure the CUCM groups for failover and in case primary fails you can configure another 2 CUCM servers for phones to register.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: