cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure failover in voice BRI trunk group.

Hi

I’m using H323 gateway with 2 or 4 BRI interfaces configured in a trunk group for PSTN access. I have a problem with correct failover when one of the BRI ports is unavailable. Here is the configuration

trunk group  PSTN-Trunk

max-retry 4

voice-class cause-code 1

description *** 2 BRI trunk group to local PSTN ***

hunt-scheme round-robin both down

voice class cause-code 1

no-circuit

temp-fail

dial-peer voice 90 pots

trunkgroup PSTN-Trunk

tone ringback alert-no-PI

description *** Outbound to PSTN  ***

destination-pattern 0.T

direct-inward-dial

interface BRI0/3/0

description --- PSTN ---

no ip address

no logging event link-status

no snmp trap link-status

isdn switch-type basic-net3

isdn point-to-point-setup

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

trunk-group PSTN-Trunk

interface BRI0/3/1

description --- PSTN ---

no ip address

no logging event link-status

no snmp trap link-status

isdn switch-type basic-net3

isdn point-to-point-setup

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

trunk-group PSTN-Trunk

With this configuration when one of the BRI lines will be unavailable, because the line is down (cause code temp-fail) or the provided does not allow the call (cause code 34 no-circuit) and the hunt algorithm will point the outgoing call to that BRI,  call will fail over to the next interface, this is ok. But now if I will drop the call (disconnect on the IP Phone)  in this moment, the voice gateway will still complete unexacting call! This call is not visible in show voice call status, show isdn active, only show isdn status will show that one of the B channels is used.  The

I have few question regarding this, does someone experience this problem or know a better way to implement failover in the trunk group? Maybe somebody can point me to a good document explaining the failover in the trunk group, because there is very little told about why to use max-retry command without which the failover will not even work.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stuck calls is a bug. Update IOS.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using ISO ver 12.4(15)T12 - c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T12.bin, any change you could provide me with a bug ID ?

Regards

The solution is following

no dial-peer outbound status-check pots

in global command

To finish this subject, after being unable to identify the bug I contacted TAC for support. In the end I have tested several IOS version like ver. 12.4(20)TX, 12.4.(25)x and they are all effected.  This is a bug and the next version without it proposed by TAC is 12.4(24)T4 and 15.X. I did test version 15.1(3)T and the bug is fixed.

A workaround would be to use multiple dial-peers, which I tried, but in my case this would complicate configuration and would be hard to manage.

Regards.