Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure SIP Re-Invite ?

Hello,

Our gateway is using SIP UPDATE when transfering a call. How do I change this to a Re-INVITE?

We are using IOS Version 15.2(3)T on a 3925.

Regards,

Grant

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco uses  the "refer" method/header for call transfer. This is the default behaviour and you dont need to configure anything to make this happen.

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello,

I've disabled the refer method using the no supplementary-service sip refer command. Our SIP provider asked us to use Re-INVITE instead of UPDATE, since their SBC is having trouble with UPDATE requests which contain Record-Route. We have a SIP proxy in between our 3925 and the SIP provider. This proxy needs to stay in dialog during a call.

The gateway does send a mid-call INVITE back to our provider through the proxy, so I'm guessing it is already doing a re-invite, but soon after receiving responses it sends a UPDATE request. The response to the UPDATE request is sent directly to our voice gateway by the provider, but this should be sent to the proxy instead, since record route is enabled. This is where they're having problems.

So if there is a way to disable the UPDATE and have just a Re-INVITE which modifies the session variables, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to accomplish this.

Kind regards,

Grant

Grant,

I suggest you open a TAC case for this.

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've managed to resolve this by doing a workaround and dropping the UPDATE in our SIP proxy. Whenever our cisco voice gateway sends an UPDATE the proxy just answers with "Method not allowed".

The Re-INVITE already contains the new offer, but the UPDATE did not contain any SDP. So I'm guessing that's enough to establish the connection. I will continue to fix the issue with our SIP provider in the future and see if I can allow the UPDATE message to pass through.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: