cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to erase the Phone configuration if the firmware is SIP?

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

The IP Phone firmware is SIP.

I need the Cisco IP Phone 794x and 796x to take the configuration from the TFTP server (actually it takes the xml files) but already the Phone has old configuration and still it is trying to register using the old configuration.

How to erase the configuration from the SIP Cisco IP Phone to let it requesting it again from the TFTP?

Regards

Bilal

7 Replies 7

THIERRY ROMANOW
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You have to make a factory reset:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00800941bb.shtml

If it doesn't work, verify the IP address of your default gateway.

Thanks alot for your kindly reply.

Where I can find factory reset?

And is it really if I need the phone to take the configuration again from the TFTP server then I have to do factory reset?

Regards

Bilal

The factory reset is detailed in the link given by Thierry. Across (almost) all the 79xx series phones the process is the same: Power-off phone, press and hold # key, power up phone. Once MWI light is flashing, release # key and dial 123456789*0#

However, there's another way to clear the security configuration to allow you to use the phone on another cluster.

Settings -> 4 (Security) -> 5 (Trust List) -> 2 (ITL File) ->
Type **# -> More -> Erase.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Nightwolf_82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have 7960 phone that was previously configured with SIP firmware. I tried to make a factory reset, however, it doesn't help. I checked the network settings and it turned out that phone gets proper IP configuration except TFTP server. In other words , IP address, DHCP Server address and Default Router address are correct except TFTP Server address which is still from previous configuration. 

What else can be done to convert phone from SIP to SCCP?

BTW, the config of the phone is locked. Can it be the reason of the issue?

Thank you.

You can try putting tftp ip address urself  by setting alternate tftp to yes. 

Also make sure to erase the security settings by unlocking it using **#. 

Hi Deepak,

I tried to do that but when I press the combination **# then nothing happens. Probably I do it incorrect. Could you please explain how to do that properly in more detail. I checked Alternate TFTP configuration and it is set on YES. 

The config of the phone is locked and password is required to be entered to unlock it. Can it be the reason of the issue?

Have you tried cisco as password?  

Refer to the section of modifying SIP parameters for 7960 phone. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/sip/1_0/english/administration/guide/ver1_0/maintain.html#wp1032408