Views
Helpful
Replies

how to find DSP resources on a 3640 IOS 12.2(8)T5

m.paolelli
Level 1
Level 1

Morning.

I do need to find the DSP resources on a Vgateway 3640 with IOS 12.2(8)T5. I already know that this machine has 4 E1 fluxes (120 channels) with two cards: a VWIC-2MFT-E1-DI and a VWIC-2MFT-E1. All the fluxes are working. But I'm not able to discover how many DSP's are on this machine!!! The 'show dialog' is useless and the only useful show seems to be the 'show voice dsp'. This shows a table with several columns. One of them is the DSP NUM that is like this: 000 000 001 001 002 002 ... and so on till 014 014, on the VOICE PORT 1/0, 1/1. And then another 000 000 001 001 ... 014 014 on the VOICE PORT 2/0, 2/1. What does it mean? That I've got 28 DSPs or 56 DSPs total? I'm quite new at that and I do need help!!! Thanks a lot...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You would need to find out which codecs you're using. It will do 30 High Complexity calls, or 60 Medium Complexity calls.

For a more in depth explanation, I would try plugging some numbers into the DSP calculator to figure out your codec situation. If you're doing all G.711 it will be 60 calls, for instance.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_configure.pl

hth,

nick

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

paul.higgsboyo
Level 1
Level 1

Try show voice dsp voice.

The last part of the output shows what resources you have, whether they are in use or not and what CODEC is being used.

It DSP resource is listed in blocks of 16 so if you have 3 blocks of 16 then you have enough for 48 session.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have the 'show voice dsp voice' in my commands but just the 'show voice dsp'.

Have you had a look at the file in attach to my post? There is the result of the 'show voice dsp'. There seems to be a couple of blocks of DSP (one for each couple of voice card [1/0-1/1 and 2/0-2/1]) and the DSP NUM reach the number 014 not 016... and each of the numbers is written two times... so I should have just 14x2 DSPs?

you can also use sh diag

Please rate all useful posts

Hmm, the show inventory command usually only works on switches so wont help here.

Looking towards the bottom of your "sh voice dsp" text file it looks as if you have a total of 96 DSP resources. If you make a call to an external number and while keeping the call active take another "show voice dsp" you should see one of the DSP's go active and display the CODEC it is using.

Also, under the controller configuration how many timeslots on each is configured. Totalling these up and referencing to the "show voice dsp" show match up.

Hi Paul.

The 96 DSP you're looking at, I think that's a fake number 'cos it's about edsp (g729r8)... Anyway I've tried what you said, doing an external phone call and keeping it active while executing the show command, but all the 96 'edsp' where still in idle state... HELP!

Have you tried a show dspfarm? I know this will just show how many DSP resources are reserved for use with transcoding and conferencing but if you tally those up with the timeslots configured on the controllers wont that show you how many DSP resources there are?

According to the documentation I can find a sh voice dsp does show the current status of all digital signal processor (DSP) voice channels and as per the show voice dsp you have posted you have 48 sessions available to your VWIC cards.

The other edsp sessions I believe are there for transcoding and conferencing.

Hi Paul! Unfortunately I do not have the 'sh dspfarm' command on my IOS...!!! But the matter that I've 48 DSPs on board is convincing me...!

chrisluven
Level 1
Level 1

Try "sh inventory".

That should list you all dsp Cards installed.

HTH

Chris

Unfortunately neither the 'show inventory' command exists in this IOS !!! And the 'show dialog', that you can see in the case's attached files, doesn't give any useful infos. HELP!!!

By pasting the show diag into the Cisco Output Interpreter, I got this:

Slot 0 :

Part ID(PID): NM-2FE2W

WIC 1 :

Part ID(PID): WIC-1T

Slot 1 :

Part ID(PID): NM-HDV (PVDM-12(s),onboard- please check manually),

WIC 0 :

Part ID(PID): VWIC-2MFT-E1-DI

Slot 2 :

Part ID(PID): NM-HDV (PVDM-12(s),onboard- please check manually),

WIC 0 :

Part ID(PID): VWIC-2MFT-E1-DI

You have NM-HDVs which will have PVDM-12s in them. Normally you can tell with 'show voice dsp'. However, you're on ancient 12.2T code, which is among the first Cisco voice code created. I'm not sure how much different the formatting is for that IOS.

Since you have 30 DSPs listed here, and each C549 consists of 3 DSPs, that means you have 10 PVDM-12's. The NM-HDV maxes out at 5, so you are currently maxed out on DSPs.

-nick

Hi Nick, I do appreciate your support!!! But I pray you to be a bit more explicit for this poor fellow!

You wrote: 'since you have 30 DSPs listed here'... well, listed where? From the 'sh diag' as you said I can see PVDM-12(s) + PVDM-12(s) = 24 DSP, isnt' it?

Then you said '[...] and each C549 consists of 3 DSPs [...]', but as a matter of fact if you read the 'sh voice dsp' attached to the post, you'll see that each C549 consists of 'TWO' DSPs... or am I wrong? Can you please have a look the the 'sh voice dsp' in attach and explore the situation? And what does it mean 'that means you have 10 PVDM-12's'? That I've 120 DSPs on board? Sorry to bother but I do have to understand well to explain it to my chief!!! Thanks again!!!

Your show voice dsp lists two sets of DSPs from 0-14. These are in groups of 3 (each DSP has 2 channels it seems here).

15+15 = 2 modules, = 5 DSPs in each.

-nick

Sorry Nick. My fault. Actually, I wanted to know how many concurrent calls this system can accept, so I need the number of PVDM! If, as you said I've got "15+15 = 2 modules, = 5 DSPs in each", how many concurrent calls (TDM into IP translations) can this system accept? Sorry to bother you again, but I think we're at the end!!!! THANKS!!!

You would need to find out which codecs you're using. It will do 30 High Complexity calls, or 60 Medium Complexity calls.

For a more in depth explanation, I would try plugging some numbers into the DSP calculator to figure out your codec situation. If you're doing all G.711 it will be 60 calls, for instance.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_configure.pl

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: