cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to format a CF for AIM-CUE using windows machine?

kirkedwards
Level 1
Level 1

As part of my CCNP-Voice lab I bought a 2801 setup a little home lab. Later I bought a AIM-CUE for it. Later still I got a 1GB CF card, but no matter what I do the CF card will not work in the AIM-CUE. I keep getting an error stating "Not a cisco support CF." I'm sure it is simply a matter of formating the card properly, but how?

I have a windows PC with a slot that fits, so I can format it there, if I knew the exact sintax.

Thanks.

This is my first post. Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I keep getting an error stating "Not a cisco support CF." I'm sure it is simply a matter of formating the card properly, but how?

Folks,

I don't know how many times I have seen an error message like this.

Here's the dig, you have a 1Gb THIRD-PARTY CF.  The most basic rule when using third party CF/USB is this:  NOT ALL USB/CF are supported.  This is because not all manufacturers follow the standard.

Go and get another CF brand and see if it works.

By the way, just in case you're going to say I don't know what I'm talking about, I have more than 8 years playing around with USB and CF.  All my routers and supervisor cards have 2 Gb third party cards.

Stop annoying Paolo and get a different brand of CF.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think is a matter or formatting, because installer software re-partition and re-format the card. Try a smaller size and/or another brand.

Thanks for the reply, but, I have a 1GB CF, which I know is correct. I just don't have the card setup correctly format wise.

Lots of AIM-CUEs are sold without CF cards, others must have this problem.

Again: installer completely formats the card, can insert a fresh from factory card and it woudl work. I did that myself many times.

So, your problem is somethign else, possibly some check that Cisco has added in boot code.

Thanks again for the reply.

I changed the CF card from a 1GB to a 512MB and got the same results.

Can't get past the "Not a cisco support CF" issue.  Ideas?

Try one from a vendor that guarantee compatibility.

I have Cisco CF cards.

At which point do you get the error, can you post the entire boot / installation log ?

Actually, I think I'm past that problem. The CF card appears to be okay, and I can load the boot helper file.

I now have a new problem. I load the boot helper file, which gives me the option to 1 - Install software, 2 - Reload module, or 3 Disk cleanup.

I pick 1 - Install software, but I can't seem to get it to connect to my FTP server. I even de-installed FileZilla and installed CompleteFTP, just in case it was the FTP server.

Don't know why, but it says, error code 0 : error type 'connect<> timed out!'

Is there a trick to getting it to pull from an FTP server? Is there a way to get it to pull tftp from the router flash?

Thanks.

Check router config again for the CUE part. FileZilla server is fine, make sure you have Windows firewall disabled.

Software installation can only be done with FTP.

TFTP is for the boot helper only.

Paolo,

Windows firewall! That I hadn't thought of. That would explain both FTP servers not working.

Thanks.

Kirk

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

I keep getting an error stating "Not a cisco support CF." I'm sure it is simply a matter of formating the card properly, but how?

Folks,

I don't know how many times I have seen an error message like this.

Here's the dig, you have a 1Gb THIRD-PARTY CF.  The most basic rule when using third party CF/USB is this:  NOT ALL USB/CF are supported.  This is because not all manufacturers follow the standard.

Go and get another CF brand and see if it works.

By the way, just in case you're going to say I don't know what I'm talking about, I have more than 8 years playing around with USB and CF.  All my routers and supervisor cards have 2 Gb third party cards.

Stop annoying Paolo and get a different brand of CF.

Leo,

My CF card is from "Cisco". What brand would you recommend?

My CF card is from "Cisco". What brand would you recommend?

Kirk,

I don't want to be rude, but I'm here in Australia and I have NO IDEA what brands you have there.  So I can't recommend any brand.

However, I can recommend you go to your nearest electronics shop or camera shop.  Since you have 2801, I am sure 2-, 4- or 8 Gb CF would fit.  Buy ONE first and test it out.  If it doesn't work, return and get another brand.

This is the only method.

Be aware that, for example, a Brand X 2 Gb may work but the same Brand X 4 Gb will not work.  This is normal as Brand X does NOT manufacture the CF.  They get various sub-contractors to manufacture the CF and slap a sticker. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: