Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get phone MAC from Cisco

kimek4901
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Some time ago I took administration of Call Manager from someone else and I have few phones from which only serial was scanned and listed in Altiris and I dont know where they are or even if they`re configured or not. When I`ll have MAC I`ll be able to find those phones with ease.

It there any possibility that Cisco can provide me with MAC of the phone when I have only serial?

Thanks in advance,

Marcin

12 Replies 12

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

The short answer is no , Callmanager doesn't keep a reference of the serial number so you can't search for it.

The long answers is if you know the ip address range of the phones and they powered up and active you can connect  to each phone via the phones web page and then check the  serial number is which is  normally in device information.

This assumes you have web access enabled on the phone also

I would take it you don't know if they are on either right or you don't have the IP address for them? 

If they are on and you use your MAC address for device name (SEPAABBCCDDEEFF ) then you can tell the MAC. Do you have any knowledge of the state of the phones ? 

Problem is that I don`t. What I can do is to turn web access on all phones and then scan voice VLANs with serial grabber. I thaught that maybe Cisco have something like Dell that they have info about every device (MAC, Serial, Model etc.) but I wanted to ask you guys first.

You can verify the model number by the serial number, but I don't think you can verify the mac.

Go to tools & resources -> Device checker -> and enter the serial number.

This will verify if its under warranty and the model number, however I don't see the mac address.

Yes, no MAC listed.

One of the phones you are looking at is online and registered to your CUCM cluster or is it registered to CME ?

If it is registered to your CUCM cluster then you can easily get the MAC address from that.

Do you have access to RTMT also?

Phones which I`m looking for are registered to CUCM. RTMT have ability to monitor serial number of the phones and find phone with unique serial number?

Right now we don`t have it installed but I can install it if necessary. I was about to install it earlier but unfortunatelly I`m suffering for a lack of time at work.

Prime Collaboration Assurance does a great job of giving the serial number but obviously you are looking for something quicker than that.

If you have the ability to turn on WEB ACCESS for the phone , either as a enterprise setting or on your phone templates via your CUCM then that tells me the phones are online. If the phones are online and registered to your cluster then it is easy to get the MAC address in multiple ways.

Are the phones online and registered?

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Serial Grabber will retrieve your serial numbers.  You can download Serialgrabber from http://download.cnet.com/Serial-Grabber/3000-2084_4-10805763.html

Enter the ip range of your ip phones and search.  It will retrieve several paramaters other than serial numbers(switch name, switch port,....

Hope this helps,

if so, please rate.

Serial Grabber is a great tool when you have Web access enabled just like m.batts said. Unfortunatelly major number of phones have it disabled. I`ll turn it on and scan voice vlan`s.

Thank you very much for advice

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

I recommend you try PhoneView form UnifiedFX, it provides a full asset inventory for free:

http://www.unifiedfx.com/phoneview-inventory/

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

UnifiedFX

kkbaraki
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Some time ago I took administration of Call Manager from someone else and I have few phones from which only serial was scanned and listed and I dont know where they are or even if they`re configured or not. When I`ll have MAC I`ll be able to find those phones with ease. It there any possibility that Cisco can provide me with MAC of the phone when I have only serial?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: