cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to identify the cause of this Bus Error?

Adolfo Arizpe
Level 1
Level 1

Our 3945E constantly crashes with an error similar to:

System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x636B2C2, address 0x636B2C2

The address corresponds to the main:text region according to the output of show region.

The only way we can avoid any crashing is by using version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1). Any other release won't work. We could keep using this release, but it has a problem that we want to avoid but we can't update.

How can I debug this further? Is there anything that I can turn or to get something similar to an stacktrace so that I can pinpoint what was the last command executed before the crash?

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your router has crashed, then there could be a crashinfo file.  If there are files, post the last three.

Leo,

I will look into the crashinfo file and post it.

Meanwhile, we just enabled the feature to dump to ftp after crash. I'm attaching that file.

Thanks for your help.

Here goes the crashinfo file.

12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

That is NOT your IOS.  That's the Bootstrap.  No wonder I was getting confused.

15.3(2)T

This is the IOS you are using.

And based on the crashinfo, you are hitting memory allocation errors.  Basically the router is "borrowing" the memory but doesn't know how to return the un-used memory back into the pool.  So the router keeps on borrowing until the memory runs out.

I'd recommend you either raise a TAC Case or upgrade the IOS and try again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: