cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to install French language in IP Phone 7821?

taiandre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we just received from Cisco 20 IP Phones model 7821. Our phone supplier doesn't use CUCM or CME System, but something else. All our phones are working fine, but the only language installed in them is English and we need to switch the language to French, but it's not installed. Where can I download what is needed to install French, and most important... where can I find the procedure?

We found that an XML file can be found on Cisco web site, but can't find it... yet!

Thanks

14 Replies 14

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What system is your phone registered to? CUCM, CME, something else?  If CUCM you just download specific locale for your version of CUCM and install it on all nodes. Then you assign the locale to the phone and user.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Our system is not CUCM or CME. We are what you consider "something else".

What do you suggest in this case?

We just found on Cisco web site a procedure to load a XML file that would upload into the phone the French module, but couldn't find, yet where is that XML file. Any help would be appreciated!!

Andre  

So, you have phones without a phone system?  These phones are bricks without a call processing solution. Normally you would first figure out what your system is before you purchase phones as otherwise how would you know if they are compatible?

Yes, there are language files you can install directly on the phones, if you have proper support contract for these phones you can download them from Cisco.

Thanks for replying...

yes, we DO have a phone system, supplied by a local supplier, but they don't use CUCM or CME. I just called them to ask this and they told me to answer "something else". All 20 phones are installed and work fine... but we need them to be in French.

Now, regarding finding the XML file... you wrote to to download it From Cisco, with a proper contract support... That's another problem... We were given, 2 weeks ago, 20 brand new 7821 phones, directly from Cisco, as a Donation to our Charity organisation. Nice from them... but Cisco Support Team refuses to support our phones. Downloading that XML file is THE solution, but I need to find a way to get it!!!??? 

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the software version on the phone?

the phone shows 11.0.0

I just ask our supplier on what system they are based and it's on "Asterisk".

11.0.0 is very old firmware.

You should be able to find the latest software and locales here:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286319891/type/286320168/release/11.2.3%20MSR1-1

ok... we'll upgrade the firmware.

I see that there are 2 files, one being the firmware, and the other the Locale. Do you know if once this firmware is installed, we will have the French language "built-in" as a choice, or if we will have to install something else, like the Locale file?

Thanks

Locales are not built into the firmware. It has to be downloaded and applied separately.

You can go through the admin guide to get more insight:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/MPP/7800/english/adminguide/pa2d_b_7800-mpp-ag-11.pdf

Thanks.

Thanks for the answers. It's appreciated!

It might be a few hours before we upgrade a phone for testing it all, and I'll get back to you.

Andre

Hi,

the firmware installation went well.

We are trying to install the French language, and in the "Locale" ZIP file there is the fr-FR (French-France) XML file, but not the fr-CA (French Canada) XML file. In the PDF file that explains the procedures it shows that the fr-FR should be there... but it's not. Do you know where to find the    fr-FR_78xx_68xx-11.2.3.2000.xml   file?

I am able to see the fr-FR_78xx_68xx-11.2.3.2000.xml file in the zip.

sorry... my mistake... it's the fr-CA_78xx_68xx-11.2.3.2000.xml   i'm looking for. The PDF file says it's suppose to be there but it isn't. Do you know where to find it?

So looks like this is a documentation defect. Fr-CA is not supported on MPP yet. If it's needed you will have to reach out to TAC and raise an enhancement request.

Thanks.