cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to keep 8800 series phones display on all the time

jritmanis
Level 1
Level 1

I need to keep the 8851 phones displays active all the time (24x7).

In CUCM there are settings: "Display On Time" and "Display On Duration" for that.

The most relevant documentation (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8811-8841_chapter_01011.html ) says: 
"If Display On Time is 0:00 and the display on duration is blank (or 24:00), the display does not turn off."

But it's not possible to enter "24:00" as the Display On Duration in CUCM. It shows validation error: "Display On Duration: does not match with the pattern ((([0-1][0-9])|(2[0-3])):[0-5][0-9]). ...."

Leaving the field blank seams to set it to 0 minutes.

In some older docs I have found that to make this work, I need to set the On time to 00:00 and duration to 23:59. But this combination sets the phone display to off for one minute from 23:59 to 00:00

Has anyone succeeded to configure the phone display to stay active all the time ?

5 Replies 5

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does it actually turn the display off for one minute? 00:00 -> 23:59 would be the entire duration of 24 hours assuming that it really means duration and not time to turn off. It also says if you leave that blank it means end of the day, so I would gather if you put 00:00 and don't fill in a duration at all it should just stay active.

Yes, it actually turns off the display for one minute. This can be easy replicated by setting let's say the Display on time as some time in your nearest future and setting the duration as max allowed - 23:59. I have observed that it turns off the display for one minute and then turns on again.
By leaving this field blank it turns off the display just after the time set for display idle timeout parameter. 

So this does not work as documented.

I tested and removed the display idle timer as well as the display on duration, and set mine to come up at 0900 here. It did and has not gone back off. 

If you're using the idle URL for something IIRC phone idle and display idle are two separate things so you should be okay to clear it?

Clearing the Display idle timeout sets it to default value 01:00. Does it work for you also after 1h ?
What CUCM version and what phone firmware version are you running ?
Idle URL is not set in my case.

Display Time ExampleDisplay Time Example

It looks like this if it I clear those two boxes and save it. It is still on, but I have used the phone periodically so if there is a default idle timeout to that I'm not seeing I may not have hit it yet.

This is sip88xx.12-1-1SR1-4 on an 8861 and UCM 11.5 SU3 - 11.5.1.12900-21 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: