Views
Helpful
Replies

How to load balance calls when Gateway have 2 PRI

actualabhishek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Gateway VG01 with 2 PRI from ISP 1 and ISP2. Both these PRI are currently member of Trunk-Group PSTN. This gateway is defined as H323 on CUCM side, so there is no control on ports.

With current setup only 1 PRI trunk from ISP1 is in use (for outbound calls), since its a E1 trunk with 30 channels for call and not all channels are ever used so 2nd PRI never get hit.

Can someone suggest if we can change hunting withing trunk-group to load balance calls. I want hunting similar to circular algorithm in CUCM.

Thanks

Abhi 

4 Replies 4

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

You can create a  RG with both H323 GWs, then use the distribution algorithm as Circular. Incoming you can talk to your Telco for load balancing between different PRIs.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You said like CUCM, how can CUCM route to specific PRI's on an H.323 gateway ? It cannot.
From a GW perspective, I don't believe there is a way to achieve pure load balancing. Trunk group is an option but it's more or less like a PRI ether channel with hunting enabled which serves the purpose for failover purposes.
An option could be to create multiple dial-peers per destination and have "no huntstop" enabled. Again this IMO, isn't a pure load balancing mechanism.

I referenced CUCM hunting just for an example. I believe load balancing can be achieved by using trunk-group hunt scheme round-robin as per below Cisco documentation

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_r/vrg_h1_ps1839_TSD_Products_Command_Reference_Chapter.html#wp1015378

Nope. This is what it says -

For example, suppose a trunk group has three trunk group members: A, B, and C. Trunk group member A has the highest preference, B has the next highest, and C has the lowest. The software starts the search with A:

•If A has an idle channel, that channel is used, and the next request for an idle channel starts with B.

•If A does not have an idle channel, the search moves to B:

•If B has an idle channel, that channel is used, and the next request for an idle channel starts with C.

•If B does not have an idle channel, the search moves to C:

•If C has an idle channel, that channel is used, and the next request for an idle channel starts with A.

•If C does not have an idle channel, the search returns to A.

If an idle channel is found in a circuit (let's say A, it will use that and only when an idle channel is not available in A circuit, the search moves to B). This is NOT load balancing. You could potentially achieve this with a "no huntstop" config that I highlighted as well if that is all that you are after. This is a failover mechanism. You can trying to load balance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: