cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Make Phone Register to Different Node?

the Q
Level 1
Level 1

On CUCM System version: 9.1.2.11900-12

I have a site with 10 phones.  One phone is registering to the wrong node (subscriber). 

The primary node is specified in the xml file on the TFTP server, isn't it?  How do I change this?  I've wondered this a million times.  Is that setting in CUCM somewhere? What about phones that auto-register, or if a user brings a phone from the New York office to Chicago?  What node comes up?

Does the Device Pool have something to do with it, or the Call Manager Group? If I go to Device>>Phone and search for it, I see the rogue phone registered to the wrong node.  I don't have physical access, only remote to a jumpbox. 

I think I remember seeing some page in CUCM that had the MAC listed and the firmware load.  That would seem like a good place.

How do I change the node that a phone registers to?

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If all phones are assigned to same DP which has one CUCM Server Group then they all should register to same node. I am assuming that this single CUCM Server Group has the right order (Sub-2 next Sub-1).

Assuming what I said is correct, then  you don't need to edit the XML file. If this is 7900 phone, try to reset network settings by hitting the sequence settings > **# > More > Erase

If this didn't work, try to factory default the phone by disconnection the power cable > hold the # button > while the button is held power-on the phone > keep holding it until the speaker button starts flashing > release # button and hit 123456789*0#. 

During phone registration after factory default make sure that phone firmware being loaded successfully. 

These should fix your problem.

On a side note, editing XML file and uploading it won't help because everytime TFTP server restarts or you apply new setting to phone by hitting 'Apply Config' a new xml file will be generated which will override your custom file.

The tftp files can be viewed and downloaded by navigating to http://<ip address oftftp>:6970/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CUCM group is what defines to what servers the phone will attempt to register to, in the order in which they're configured.

If it auto-registers, it gets the DP from the device defaults, or the one from the universal device template.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

But how do I make a phone register to a different node?

It's registering to sub-1.  I want it to register to sub-2. 

There is an XML file for every MAC, right? 

The primary and secondary servers are in the XML, right? 

The XML sits on the TFTP server, right? 

What if I downloaded, edited, and re-uploaded that XML file so it said sub-2 and sub-2?  That's a horrible solution, but would it work?  Is the XML file editable in CUCM somewhere? 

YOu will need to make sure the phone is assigned a call manager group with sub2 first then sub 1, create a device pool with this call manager group and assign that devicepool to the phone

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you Jaime and Dennis for helpful replies.

And Mohammed, your answer had everything I needed to know.  Thanks.

Hi,

If all phones are assigned to same DP which has one CUCM Server Group then they all should register to same node. I am assuming that this single CUCM Server Group has the right order (Sub-2 next Sub-1).

Assuming what I said is correct, then  you don't need to edit the XML file. If this is 7900 phone, try to reset network settings by hitting the sequence settings > **# > More > Erase

If this didn't work, try to factory default the phone by disconnection the power cable > hold the # button > while the button is held power-on the phone > keep holding it until the speaker button starts flashing > release # button and hit 123456789*0#. 

During phone registration after factory default make sure that phone firmware being loaded successfully. 

These should fix your problem.

On a side note, editing XML file and uploading it won't help because everytime TFTP server restarts or you apply new setting to phone by hitting 'Apply Config' a new xml file will be generated which will override your custom file.

The tftp files can be viewed and downloaded by navigating to http://<ip address oftftp>:6970/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: