cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to MIGRATE from CUCM 7.1.5 to CUCM 8.6.2?

Sergey Balyura
Level 1
Level 1
Hi everyone! I have two CUCMs - CUCM 7.1.5 and CUCM 8.6.2 Both of them are on hardware platforms. CUCM 7.1.5 is in a production with bought licences. CUCM 8.6.2 is only installed without any configuration. But with bought licences already. So I need to MIGRATE from the 7.1.5 to 8.6.2 without the loss of data. All I've found is about the UPGRADE from 7.1.5 to 8.6.2 And this is not my case. I need the MIGRATE Please show me the right way of the migration, please :)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So exactly my point, why migrate when you can upgrade and save all the hassle.

Two ways -
1. Upgrade your old cucm to 8.X, take a DRS backup and restore on the new hardware. Licences will need to be rehosted.
2. Take a DRS backup on 7.X server, restore to a 7.X on the new hardware and then upgrade the new hardware to 8.X to complete. License rehost is still required since there will be a mac address change. I am not sure however
if GLO is still doing rehosts for 8.X etc.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Simon Coventry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You'll need to build a version 7.1.5 on your new hardware/VM and restore from backup onto new platform. you can then upgrade to 8.6.2.

If you are unable to re-build the 8.6.2 hardware then your only option is to use the import/export tool to export all configuration from the v7 and then import into v8 but you would lose historic CDR info.. but this retains configuration.

Not ideal you have an 8.6.2 already which is licensed when Cisco have/had a migration path a few years ago....

Hope this is useful 

Hi Simon!

thanks for your answer.

I have already an installed 8.6.2 server with installed licences on a hardware platform.

so I don't want to re-install  it from the 7.1.5 level.

I don't need any CDRs now.

will I receive the working 8.6.2 after the export of configs from 7.1.5 and the import of its into 8.6.2?

using the import/export tool should be fine. some subtle differences between v7 & v8 and you may need to run import of data several times due to some dependencies on config you are yet to import. As you are able to have both systems running you can test thoroughly before going live. 

Alternatley, upgrade your v7 to v8.6 but you will need Cisco to re-host license from v7 to v8.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Migration is usually when you are moving b/w platforms. For eg - MCS to VM or even VM to VM .
If you are retaining the underlying platform, this would be a upgrade.

When you say you are migrating, what are you doing exactly ?

Hi, Nipun!

I have two CUCMs on hardware platforms - 7.1.5 and 8.6.2.

And I need to move all the configs from 7.1.5 to 8.6.2

The reason is simple - I cannot find phones for 7.1.5 to buy :)

As I understand the upgrade is the process when I make changes over my one CUCM.

And the migrate is when I move configs from one CUCM to another CUCM.

So exactly my point, why migrate when you can upgrade and save all the hassle.

Two ways -
1. Upgrade your old cucm to 8.X, take a DRS backup and restore on the new hardware. Licences will need to be rehosted.
2. Take a DRS backup on 7.X server, restore to a 7.X on the new hardware and then upgrade the new hardware to 8.X to complete. License rehost is still required since there will be a mac address change. I am not sure however
if GLO is still doing rehosts for 8.X etc.

Thanks, Nipun!

your 1st way is looking very good for me.

How do you think if I upgrade old system the old licences will work on it?

And if something will go wrong I will have on one working CUCM.

The licenses should be retained during an upgrade. The server MAC is not getting altered.
In your migration scenario, MAC will
change and hence the need to rehost.

well so what is the main problem of moving configs by import-export from 7.1.5 to 8.6.2?

Will I get troubles which I don't see now?

in this case I will have two working CUCMs with the identical configs.

Ans I will be able to test the new one before the implementation.

AFAIK import/export works as long as the cucm versions are identical.

OK, if I will try the next steps:

1. Make a DRS backup on an old CUCM 7.1.5.

2. Install a new virtual CUCM 7.1.5 for intermediate purposes.

3. Restore DRS backup from 1-st step on a virtual CUCM 7.1.5.

4. Upgrade a virtual CUCM 7.1.5 to the 8.6.2 version.

5. Make a DRS backup from a virtial 8.6.2 (ex-virtual 7.1.5)

6. Restore a DRS backup on a hardware 8.6.2 with existing licences.

Will it work?

I would suggest you to check with licensing@cisco.com first if they can re-host licenses for 8.6 ver, if they can, then either way you can choose. In above case you may need to re-host licenses after step 3 and before step 4.

Suresh

I dont find any reason for this to fail. Also check the VM requirements for 8.6.2 when you upgrade. I believe you also have to install a refresh upgrade cop file on 7.1.5 to make it upgrade to 8.6.2

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

That should be fine. A couple of things to be sure though -
1. If this is a cluster, ensure that the DB Replication is good.
2. Disable CAR/CDR if possible.

If the new hardware for 8.6.X already has licenses, you should be fine without the need for a rehost.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: