Views
Helpful
Replies

How to route calls over T1 / PRI ?

Jamin Horton
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm struggling a little bit with routing calls over my PRI connections. I'm using VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards and I have one in HQ, B1 & B2 and they in turn connect to VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards in my PSTN router. I have basic connectivity on all routers as shown below.

PRI.jpg

My calls now currently utilize the Frame-Relay connections but would obviously like to change that. What I'm unsure about is how to go about the implementing that? I understand I'm going to need dial-peers on HQ, B1 & B2, what I'm not sure about is if I'm going to need them on the PSTN Router? I remember configruing the PSTN router as a frame-relay switch but I don't think or am even aware of how to make it a PRI switch? It's worth noting that the PSTN router is an MGCP Gateway and is successfully configured in CUCM.

Hoping someone can help me better understand the process of utilzing these PRI connections and how to go about doing so. Thanks for your time!

CCIE-Voice-LAB.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In a sort answer, you are going to need dial-peers with a destination pattern defined and pointing to your PRI ports.

I take it that you want to simulate routing calls to and from the PSTN.

On your PSTN gateway you will need dial-peers that will m atch the extension of the Branch or HQ phones and on your Branch and HQ routers you will need dial-peers that will macth your dialled PSTN number and then send that to the PRI port that connect to the PSTN

example of config...

Dial-peer 1 voice pots

destination-patter 9T

port 0/1/0:15

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

View solution in original post

What you need is, a dial peer, matching your incoming call leg, so you can use the direct-inward-dial command:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

!

Resource: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_d1.html#wp1458994

On another topic: This is covered in the CVOICE exam/learning, which is a part of the CCNP Voice certification.  I see you are already building out a CCIE Voice lab, but perhaps a detour to the CCNP Voice certification would benefit you.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In a sort answer, you are going to need dial-peers with a destination pattern defined and pointing to your PRI ports.

I take it that you want to simulate routing calls to and from the PSTN.

On your PSTN gateway you will need dial-peers that will m atch the extension of the Branch or HQ phones and on your Branch and HQ routers you will need dial-peers that will macth your dialled PSTN number and then send that to the PRI port that connect to the PSTN

example of config...

Dial-peer 1 voice pots

destination-patter 9T

port 0/1/0:15

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello and thanks for your reply. I tried adding some simple dial-peers but what happened was I would see the call connect via the debug but as soon as I pressed the digits it would give me dial tone. Odd I know but can't seem to make heads or tails of it. I've found my weak spot and it's definitely ISDN. If you are interested in discussing further let me know. I can even set up a webshare for a time that works for you. Thanks for your time and consideration.

What you need is, a dial peer, matching your incoming call leg, so you can use the direct-inward-dial command:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

!

Resource: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_d1.html#wp1458994

On another topic: This is covered in the CVOICE exam/learning, which is a part of the CCNP Voice certification.  I see you are already building out a CCIE Voice lab, but perhaps a detour to the CCNP Voice certification would benefit you.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Thank you both! I have it working between Branch 2 and PSTN so I'm hopefull I can replicate that to the other routers. Thanks again for your time and consideration!