Views
Helpful
Replies

How to separate 3 digit extension for internal call

ciscoguy88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know in our internal extension calling, can we separate it by translation pattern but using same partition and CSS?

Example: internal extension call 1XXX and 2XXX with the XXX could be the same number?

Can this work if the partition between 1XXX and 2XXX is the same or we need to separate the partition only this will work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Advice you to move the translations to the gateway and remove the configuration for significant digits and prefix from CM as that is much more flexible.

To answer any of your follow up questions on external phone number mask and AAR mask we would need for you to provide the required information from your setup about how you use these.

To give you some information, EPNM is not automatically used just because you set it on a directory number, you have to configure the call routing elements in CM to use the information in the EPNM.

For AAR this would be used when the call is rerouted based on CAC denying the call due to no bandwidth available to make the call. This would also depend on how you have configured AAR call routing, so it's not an answer that is that straightforward to answer without the needed information.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

can you please provide bit more explanation regarding your question.

What I understood.Let say you have extension 1100 and 2100. when user A (extension 3001)  dial 100 it should  be  translated to 1100 or 2100. is it your requirement ? 

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

Actually is I put the extension as 1100 and 2100 in same partition and CSS and same outgoing to voice gateway for external call. So user who is from other extension 3200 call 1100, will it conflict with 2100 in the same partition and CSS?

Still not clear what you are trying to achieve.

Based on what i understood from your question, if you keep 1100 and 2100 both in same partition(assume partition A). And extension 3200 CSS has access to  partition A, 3200 can call 1100 and 2100.

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

Yes, now understand this is different for internal. 

Actually what I trying to achieve is for external calling in. Now my full number from telco for ISDN is example XXXXXX100 and YYYYYY100. 

When I try call from external to internal, not sure why only XXXXXX100 get the call even though I call YYYYYY100. Both this XXXXXX100 and YYYYYY100 is going though the same circuit. 

Is it because of the AAR mask or because both of them is under same partition and CSS?

Okay,let say you have DID  24588100 and 24589100. Outside people can call 24588100  but not 24589100. When some one call 24588100  is it configured to land on a desk phone?  What extension range you use, is it three or 4 digit. 

You need to have a look on  call flow.  Use Dialed Number Analysis to see the call flow.

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

Appreciate your prompt reply. 

When people call 24589100 it will go to 24588100 as well. Not sure what went wrong on this. 

24589100 is like a new ISDN number we just subscribe. My VG we put dial peers as 24589XXX same as 24588XXX.

When some one call 24588100  is it configured to land on a desk phone?

Yes it is configure to land on a IP deskphone.

What extension range you use, is it three or 4 digit. 

Currently we are using 4 digit for extension for which previously I mentioned, we put as 1100 and 2100 to differentiate from internal end.

Our AAR destination mask we put as 24589XXX.

This is our existing config, is it because of this that is why when people call 24589100 it will go to 24588100 instead of 24589100?

AAR has no part in this.

Have you looked at how many digits in the called number you send from the voice gateway to CM. Where do you do the translation from PSTN received number to your internal four digit number? If you do it in the gateway that’s where I’d start looking. For this would you mind to share the details of the translations rules that you have and also the dial peers that you have?

Response Signature

As @roger mentioned AAR has no role in this. Where do you do translation, is it on gateway or CUCM ? 

Can you post your gateway configurations to verify your dial-peers and to see if any translations  applied . 

Response Signature

Hi Nithin, Roger,

Below is the translation rules in the gateway and dial peers:

I did not add 24588... as rule 2 in the voice translation as this is a new ISDN number. Should I add it as rule 2 and put  

^1\(...\)/ /24588\1/ ?

voice translation-rule 1
rule 1 /^1\(...\)/ /24589\1/
!
voice translation-rule 9
rule 1 reject /19712347575/
!
voice translation-rule 1591
rule 1 /^900./ /91591/
rule 2 /^9012/ /91591/
rule 3 /^9013/ /91591/
rule 4 /^9016/ /91591/
rule 5 /^9018/ /91591/
rule 6 /^9021/ /91591/
rule 7 /^9020/ /9159160/
rule 8 /^9030/ /9159160/
rule 9 /^9011/ /9159162/
rule 11 /^915../ /91591/

dial-peer voice 200 voip
destination-pattern 24589...
progress_ind setup enable 3
session target ipv4:10.10.10.10
voice-class codec 10
voice-class h323 10
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 201 voip
destination-pattern 24588...
progress_ind setup enable 3
session target ipv4:10.10.10.10
voice-class codec 10
voice-class h323 10
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
no vad
!

You really should spend some time to read up on how this works. It would help you out in the long run.

The posted configuration does not at all line up with the previous shared information, so you're just making it harder and harder for us to provide you any valuable help.

First of the rule that you posted will translate any number that starts with a 1 and copy the last 3 digits into memory to prefix 24589 and paste what was stored in memory after this. The resulting number would be this, number received from PSTN, or wherever this come from as your not sharing enough information for anyone to know for sure, 1100 would be translated to 24589100.

Before you wrote that you have 4 digit numbers in CM, the shared dial peers would indicate otherwise. So are you doing another translation somewhere else? Things just do not add up with what you describe.

Apart from this you don't share where in the gateway you use any of the translations, it is practically impossible for anyone that does not have your insight into your setup to give you any valuable advice on this.

Response Signature

As @roger mentioned, it became more complicated. 24588 Is an example DID,  please let us know what's ur DID block and what's your Internal extension , and what exactly you need to accomplish when you receive an incoming call from PSTN.

could you share the complete dial-peer and voice translations on VG. 

Response Signature

Hi Roger, Nithin,

Thanks both for your help. Sorry for above as I myself is a beginner in this.

So basically I found out actually we do not have any translation from VG to our CUCM. So we receive full number from VG to our CUCM. 

But in CUCM, we did have a significant digits configure so basically 3 digit from our full PSTN number and we add a prefix DN of 2 as well in the settings so output to CUCM from VG is 2XXX which is our DN number in our phone setup.

So I finally fix the incoming call as we have conflict for XXX number from PSTN. So I change it to 4 digit instead for the inbound call so it become 2XXXX instead of 2XXX.

So now I can receive the inbound call from external.

Just to ask for my phone mask in user external phone configuration, do I need to change it to full PSTN with 555XXX or 55XXXX and does this same as AAR destination mask as well?

AAR configuration is related to automated alternate routing , are you using this ? 

External phone number mask on line:-

What you mentioned on the external phone number mask will be displayed on Right top of your Phone display. And if your RP has Use Calling Party's External Phone Number Mask checked, it use this information

Capture.PNG

Response Signature

Advice you to move the translations to the gateway and remove the configuration for significant digits and prefix from CM as that is much more flexible.

To answer any of your follow up questions on external phone number mask and AAR mask we would need for you to provide the required information from your setup about how you use these.

To give you some information, EPNM is not automatically used just because you set it on a directory number, you have to configure the call routing elements in CM to use the information in the EPNM.

For AAR this would be used when the call is rerouted based on CAC denying the call due to no bandwidth available to make the call. This would also depend on how you have configured AAR call routing, so it's not an answer that is that straightforward to answer without the needed information.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: