cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup a speed dial service?

jzangmeister
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running communications manager 8.6.2 and I have a need to setup a service for speed dials on a 7965.  The 7965 has 6 line buttons.  I need to use 5 buttons for line appearances and then I still need to assign 8 speed dials to the phone.  I wanted to assign a service URL to the 6th line button that will pull down a list of speed dials that can be dialed from a menu when the 6th line button is pressed.  What is the syntax of the XML file that will allow the speed dial list to display correctly on the 7965.  Also, how can I get those same speed dials to work in SRST mode?  I assume I will have to configure the SRST router with another separate list for use during SRST.  Is the router capable of providing a list similar to the service URL to use during SRST mode?  My goal is to provide the same dialing functionality in SRST mode compared to when the phone is registered to Communications Manager.

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is abbreviated dialing not an option for you?

How about building fast dials service (I belive it is still supported for this version) and then simply defining button 6 as service button pointing to that service?

HTH,

Chris

Chris, thanks for the quick reply!  I've looked into both of your suggestions.  Please see my comments below.

Abbreviated dialing (best of the two options)

-the user needs to memorize the position of the speed dials, there isn't a menu to present a list of speed dials to the user

-Is there a way to have the speed dials appear in a list on the phone (cisco 7965)?

-in SRST mode, the abbrdial softkey doesn't function.  I've setup translation patterns on the SRST router for a similar experience, but the dialing process is still different in SRST mode.

-Can the SRST router be configured to enable the abbrdial softkey?

Fast Dials

-Service URL is unreachable in SRST mode, creating a different dialing experience for the user in SRST mode.

Is there any other way to get speed dials on phones that will provide the same dialing experience while registered to CUCM or SRST?

Abbreviated dialing (best of the two options)

-the user needs to memorize the position of the speed dials, there isn't a menu to present a list of speed dials to the user

-Is there a way to have the speed dials appear in a list on the phone (cisco 7965)?

-in SRST mode, the abbrdial softkey doesn't function.  I've setup translation patterns on the SRST router for a similar experience, but the dialing process is still different in SRST mode.

-Can the SRST router be configured to enable the abbrdial softkey?

Correct, not way to list them.

Fast Dials

-Service URL is unreachable in SRST mode, creating a different dialing experience for the user in SRST mode.

Is there any other way to get speed dials on phones that will provide the same dialing experience while registered to CUCM or SRST?

Correct, whatever you do for SRST you will need to ensure it is hosted at the remote location as WAN is going to be unenviable, so typically this is not something customers are worrying about. I doubt you would want to host the web page locally at every location?

HTH,

Chris