cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup location awareness for Jabber users that move between locations.

keith-suttle1
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple sites across a large metropolitan area and for emergency response notification, whenever 911 is dialed, based on CSS, the call is routed through a local POTs line attached to router at the location.  The POTS  lines address is that of the location thus providing correct address for emergency responders.  I have several users (including myself) that move between the various sites and use Jabber as their telephone.  Is there a way to setup Jabber accounts to automatically switch to new location and change CSS to enable correct emergency response location details?  If so, how could I go about setting this up?

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Look into device mobility.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime

Thanks for the suggestion and we do utilize extension mobility for many of our employees however sometimes with the mobile employee they may not be able to access a physical phone to log into and thus rely on their Jabber app to place and receive calls.  One thing that I will mention is that our clinics have different subnets so that when the individuals computer logs into the network it picks up the new subnet.  Is there a way in CUCM to automatically change CSS to be reflected for that user's account?

Cheers

Keith

Yes, I've already mentioned the feature you can use: device mobility.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Please remember to rate useful posts, click on the stars below.

Thanks Jaime, that  was helpful with respect to direction.  I have it operational and when the device is registering it shows "roaming".  However, when I review the "Current Device Mobility Settings" for the device at a remote site, all the settings show the info for site where the end device is attached to with the exception "Device Call Search Space".  It is still showing the CSS for the end device initial setting.  In the DP, the CSS is set inherent to the location both in the "Device Pool Settings" and "Device Mobility Related Information".  I am looking for calls to route as if originally they were configured for the site.  

Cheers

Keith

Hello Jaime

I followed your advice and setup Device Mobility at a couple of our sites however when I couldn't get the CSS to reflect the correct location I opened a TAC case to make sure my settings were correct.  Here is TAC's last response:

Hello Keith

AS explained before CSS won’t change

Device Mobility Related

The parameters under these settings will override the device-level settings only when the device is roaming within a Device Mobility Group.

The device mobility related settings affect the dial plan because the calling search space dictates the patterns that can be dialed or the devices that can be reached.

Roaming Sensitive settings

The parameters under these settings will override the device-level settings when the device is roaming within or outside a Device Mobility Group.

The roaming sensitive settings primarily help in achieving proper call admission control and voice codec selection through modification of location and region settings based on the device's roaming device pool.

Device Mobility is intended for other scenarios not the one you are trying to accomplish

You would need to configure phone manually when it moved , extension mobility might work for you as well

Regards,

C M

Cisco TAC

Phone +1 919 99711XX

(I removed contact info so its not sitting on the web) 

Any thoughts on that? - Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: