Views
Helpful
Replies

how to upgrade IP Phone 7945 firmware?

sia
Level 1
Level 1

hello everyone

I have a phone IP Phone 7945, I did a factory reset.

now I want to upgrade it to a firmware I have downloaded from the internet.

what i did:

create a DHCP server on a Mikrotik router

i have added option 150 ,

installed filezilla server

now when the phone boot up, it shows the IP itself instead of showing my laptop IP which is the TFTP server.

how to work around this, please?

your help is much appreciated.

regards

16 Replies 16

Andrew Skelly
Level 7
Level 7
Why not just install the files to your CUCM TFTP server? Install the 6 files for the version you have, which would look something like this: apps45.9-4-2ES25 cnu45.9-4-2ES25 cvm45sip.9-4-2ES25 dsp45.9-4-2ES25 jar45sip.9-4-2ES25 SIP45.9-4-2ES25S Doing that will only install the files and not change the existing device defaults (though it is always a good idea to double check anyway). Once you have the files installed then you can go to the phone configuration page and specified the phone load name, which will look like this: SIP45.9-4-2ES25S Something else to consider is the compatibility of the firmware you are trying to run along with the hardware version of the phone. Newer hardware versions will not be able to run older versions of firmware (i.e. hardware 13 or higher must run firmware 9.3(1) SR1 or higher).
Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot for your kind reply
But i dont have access to cucm tftp server thats is why i want to use my laptop as tftp server
Regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do you have a SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file?

no, I don't, and what this file does please?

SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file is the config file for the phone. In it is an XML tag telling the phone what firmware it needs to run.

where i can get it? and how to use it?

Regards

If you know the IP address of the TFTP server your CUCM cluster uses, you can use an application called "free ftpd".  When you open it, click on the "Tftp client" tab and fill in the fields as such:

Host - ip address of the tftp server

Port - 69

Local file - sep<mac address>.cnf.xml

Remote file - same as the local file

Click on "Get" once you have the information filled in.  You may have to click "Get" a couple times to pull the configuration but once you do you will get a message that states something along the lines of: "30 blocks transferred in 1 second".  Then you can pull the file from your machine and view it.  Make sure to open the file using Notepad++ for best view.

Once you have the config file, look for the line that defines the load information:

<loadInformation>sip8845_65.10-3-2-16</loadInformation>

Update the load name to the firmware version you want, save it to your laptop, and have your phone try to pull it down.

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

A known working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file can be found HERE.

Thanks a lot for all replies,

i think I'm still not getting it correctly

so let me explain what i have and you guide me or give instruction how to do it.

1- i have a cisco IP Phone 7945 i did the hard reset by pressing the # key during the boot up.

2- i have downloaded the firmware from the cisco website as shown below

Capture.PNG

3- i have filezilla server 

4- i have mikrotik router working as dhcp server

my issue how to tell the phone look into my computer to download the files inside the local tftp ( file zilla )

or do you have instructions or video show step by step how to do this with out having CMCU Server?

Regards

thanks a lot for your link, i did what is there but still not success.

below is the screenshot of my phone when it boots up, it show the IP address of the phone it self instead of the Tftp server

the 192.168.88.250 is the IP address of the phone

the 192.168.88.11 is the IP address of my laptop which i assume should be the IP of the tftp server.

please correct me if im wrong , 

on mikrotik router i have add option 150 with the IP 192.168.88.11 converted to hex 

IMG_6844.jpg

@sia wrote:

mikrotik router i have add option 150 with the IP 192.168.88.11 converted to hex 

IP address should not be expressed as HEX.

Than you for the reply
But according to the Mikrotik instruction it need to be converted to hex.
Another thing the IP which appeared in my phone should be the IP of my laptop?
Regards

sia
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks for all who tried to help me finally i figured it out how to do it and to share my knowledge i made a video for those who has sane issue
https://youtu.be/PhE3qk-kQNY 

in this video, i will show you how to step by step upgrading any cisco IP Phone firmware upgrade IP Phone 79xx series and most of the models what you need: 1- DHCP server with option 150 enabled 2- TFTP server you can install it on same DHCP server or different computer 3- POW switch in order to ...