cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upload custom ringtone 8841 multi platform

DavidTaylor7901
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upload a custom ringtone to a 8841 that’s running multi platform firmware. It’s stand alone and not using CCM 

I can’t see how this is done. Any ideas 

26 Replies 26

boteman
Level 1
Level 1

Two and a half years later, any progress?

I have customers with immediate requirements for custom ring tone, preferably by simply installing a TGML script or sound file directly on the phone.

I am struggling with firmware version 11.3.7 MPP/3PCC to play any custom ringtone.

Thank you.

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Custom ringtones are still not supported. 

anorton
Level 1
Level 1

Is there some sort of roadmap or timetable as this is a common request.

I didn't hold up much hope, so we switched to supplying our customers with
Yealink's, that and the issue we are having with the hook switch failing and
nearly all 7841's. due to using poor components.

boteman
Level 1
Level 1

THREE YEARS LATER, still no progress.

Are there any current production Cisco MPP/3PCC VoIP phones that allow uploading or customizing a totally random ring tone?

Not one of the 9 undesirable choices that are built-in to the phone, but either a tone script or .WAV file that we create and upload ourselves? The 78xx family looks like a trimmed down version of the 88xx family, so they likely suffer the same lack of capability.

If no Cisco phones can use customer-created ring tones, then we will be forced to look at other vendors. Time's a-wasting!

Thank you for nudging this onto the list of current work.

Hi there, 

Unfortunately this hasn't been implemented yet, but it is in our back log (with a low priority). 

How many phones are impacted? 

All phones.

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Its a limitation, so yes ALL phones are impacted, but my question was, how many phones do YOU @boteman have. 

My customer base spans about 2 dozen phones, with the potential of many more as we grow. We are currently working on a bid that would include about 40 phones.

But I have very recently come to understand that this requested feature is considered a security concern by Cisco, therefore I have dropped my expectations to zero that it will ever be implemented. That tracks with the "low priority" assigned to it.

Maybe it's time to go back to two tin cans and a string?

If it's a security concern, then why do the unified communication versions of the same phone have the option to change the ringtone list?

Also, you can upload custom backgrounds and logo's to the MPP phones as well, I believe there is enough reason to hide malicious stuff in there as well. But they do allow that.

I believe it's more a question of: the other types of 8800 phones bring more profit aka cross-cell selling with unified communication. the low priority has more to do with that than any security concern IMHO.

And yes I'd like to see this feature as well. Took me the better part of a day to find out it's not supposed to work (this thread).

Practically 9 out of the 12 ringtones are basically useless as a proper ringtone anyway.

ShamrockInfoSec
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like the file : // used int he Ring scripts is pointing to the internal phone storage. http:// as well as tftp:// references don't work and it will revert to a basic chirp § ringtone for that setting. The names you can change and it will show up on the phone as well.

Even the config loads properly using XML, but the download link simply is ignored.

It's interesting that the call manager version of the same hardware does have the feature though. And yes those can be made to work with Asterisk using an available patch (never tried it as I don't have a call manager firmware unit), including Ringlist.xml and Ringlist-wb.xml up to 50 ringtones it looks like too.

SO if the hardware really is identical, how difficult could this be to get working?

boteman
Level 1
Level 1

This just in: documentation erratum that you can't use t= nor b= in the custom ringtone scripts that don't really do much good anyway, since you're still stuck with the same handful of unhelpful stock ringtones.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwi27445