cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P federation

pcromwell
Level 3
Level 3

I want to be able to federate 2 separate CUCM clusters (different companies), so that IM&P users from each cluster can see each others presence status, make calls and do screen share, in other words act as if they are one cluster. This will be across a private MPLS link and not across internet.

I am wondering the best way to achieve this.

will it be via conditional forwarding entries on the DNS pointing to eachothers DNS servers as well as the usual SRV records?

Also is there a way to implicitly allow all the contacts from each company to be populated rather than having to find contact, which then sends a request per user for that user to have to "friend them"

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think your best bet is to use internal XMPP federation. If you have expressway deployed, then the recommended approach will be to use XMPP federation via expressway.

Here is the link on how to setup XMPP federation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/interdomain_federation/10_5_1/CUP0_BK_I07B7052_00_integration-guide-interdomain-federation-105/CUP0_BK_I07B7052_00_integration-guide-interdomain-federation-105_chapter_01010.html

With XMPP federation, there is no way to auto-populate contact. Infact you cant find them either you will have to manually add these contacts.

Please rate all useful posts

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If they're using the same domain, you can configure an inter-cluster peer and that is fairly easy to setup.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Unfortunately they are 2 separate domains

etmarcof
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Have you managed to implement this?

I have a similar scenario and implemented XMPP federetation between two IM&P  servers 11.5.1 SU5. Chat its working but presence status only appear after chat is initiated and just for a couple of minutes. Any  suggestions?

Regards,

MC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: