Views
Helpful
Replies

IM & Presence License v 11

oscar cordero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

cisco change again the license for IM & Presence server version 11?.

From download page there isnt bootable file and warning that version 11 should be installed with license.

so only CUPS version 10.5 is by free?.

We upgrade the CUCM to 11, and now we are planning to install IM& Presence to 11 but we notice something change regarding license. can some one do clear this fro versions 10, 10.5 , and 11?

PD. compatibility betwween cucm 11 and IM&P ver 10.5 is not working.

kind regards,

6 Replies 6

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Oscar,

Since 10.x to 11.x is a major upgrade you will need license for new version 11.x.

Also, Starting with releases 9.x there is no longer a mix and match between CUCM and IM&P, they need to be aligned in the same major release. So both should be on 11.x version to be compatible.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUPS/IM%26P_FAQ#How_to_determine_IM.26P_and_CUCM_compatibility.3F.3F

How to determine IM&P and CUCM compatibility??

Starting with releases 9.x there is no longer a mix and match between CUCM and IM&P, they need to be aligned in the same major release.
For the most part, CUCM and IM&P need to be on the same X.Y level, for example:

• CUCM 9.1.2.12900-11
  • IM&P 9.1.1.51900-1

They both match at the 9.1 level and are compatible, even if they are not in the same MR, as long as they keep in 9.1, they will be compatible.

At this time, the only release that breaks the rule is 10.5(2):

IM and Presence Service and Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrade to 10.5(2)
IM and Presence Service Release 10.5(2) is compatible only with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.5(2).

Which as you can see, needs to match at the X.Y(Z) level, always make sure to review the Release Notes for the product before upgrading or installing to make take into account any special considerations like the above.

Manish

thanks for compatibility matrix answers.

Regarding licenses. Version IM&P 10.5 is free..

what about version 11? there are any info. I didnt found anything.

The next said that I not need license.

IM and Availability functionality does not require a node license or software version license.

Then said I need to do some configuration into CUCM. here there isnt information about license. this is the tipic procedure I do it when Im installing a IM&P. I did it many times.

However, you must assign IM and Availability functionality to each IM and Presence Service user.

You can assign IM and Availability on a per user basis, regardless of the number of clients you associate with each user. When you assign IM and Availability to a user, this enables the user to send and receive IMs and also to send and receive availability updates. If the user is not enabled for IM and Availability, no availability updates are allowed for that user.

You can enable a user for IM and Presence Service functionality in the End User Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

So is not clear on cisco documentation.

Forget IM&P version 10.5, that was a lab test, and my IM&P10.5 not request license and is by free the server, also I could download from cisco and was bootable file, not PUT, not SSW required. Now we wants to do real implementation IM&P 11. but when i download the IM&P file from cisco, the file is not bootable and also there are a warning about PUT.

Hi Oscar,

You won't get bootable from Cisco Site.You can only get patches for major upgrades which can be downloaded from Cisco site but still u need to place order through PUT for the same.

the link also says IM and Availability functionality is included within both User Connect Licensing (UCL) and Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing (CUWL).

Now when u do major upgrade for CUCM to say version 11, u need to share the License request file from PLM with Licensing Cisco  which u would get only after u have SWSS support and have placed the order through PUT.

regds,

aman

Aman is correct (+5), any major upgrade needs to be ordered through PUT and license requested for the same.

Manish

[+5] to Manish for sharing info.

Hi Oscar,

Since u have already upgraded CUCM to 11 which u might have done after placing through PUT so, also need to upgrade IMP to 11.

When u had installed IMP 10 , there are no licenses loaded on IMP.

Now, when u upgrade IMP to 11 , u won't be requiring any licenses except placing an order through PUT for upgrade if you have SWSS contract.

User License Requirements

IM and Availability functionality does not require a node license or software version license. However, you must assign IM and Availability functionality to each IM and Presence Service user.

You can assign IM and Availability on a per user basis, regardless of the number of clients you associate with each user. When you assign IM and Availability to a user, this enables the user to send and receive IMs and also to send and receive availability updates. If the user is not enabled for IM and Availability, no availability updates are allowed for that user.

You can enable a user for IM and Presence Service functionality in the End User Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/10_5_1/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105_chapter_010.html

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: