cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inbound and outbound dial peer

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

How can we tell if the dial peer configured is inbound dial peer or out bound dial peer?  I mean  We don't use any word explicitly do define a dial peer as inbound or outbound. Rather  a dial peer direction i.e inbound or outbound is determined by if the dial peer is being used to route incoming call or outgoing call.

INBOUND DIAL PEER:

analogphone1---------v 0/1/0 (FS)----Voice-gateway---v0/2/0 (FXO)-------------pstn.--

(928 555 1234)

Router(config-dial-peer)#dial-peer voice ABC pots

Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 928 555 1234

Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/1/0:D

Router(config-dial-peer)#end

Above if someone calls our analogphone 928 555 1234 from pstn, the voicegateway will receives the incoming  call and matches the dial peer ABC. Thus this dial peer is considered as inbound because it is used to route incoming call..

OUTBOUND DIAL PEER:

analogphone1---------v 0/1/0 (FS)----Voice-gatewat---v0/2/0 (FXO)-------------pstn.------nalogohone2 602 555 1234

(928 555 1234)

Above our  analogphone1 dials 602 555 1234. Voicegateway matches the dial peer meek as shown below.

Router(config-dial-peer)#dial-peer voice meek pots

Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 602 555 1234

Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/2/0

Since the voicegateway will use dial peer meek to route this outgoing call therefore it makes dial peer meek as  a outbound dial peer.

. The  concept I am trying to form is the inbound calls dila peer are those dial peers which are used to route incoming call. Likewise outbound  dial peers are those dial peer that are used to route outgoing calls. We  don's use any word explicitly to define a dial peer as inbound or outbound in our configuration.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks and have a great day.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

In order to understanding incoming and outgoing dialpeers, you need to understand the call legs involved in a specific call. Please refer to the following image:

/image/gif/paws/12164/in_out_dial_peers1.gif

Assume, POTS on the source end is the calling party analog phone and on the destination end is the called party analog phone. As soon as analog phone on source end will go offhook, call leg 1 is established and POTS diapeer is matched. This will be considered as incoming dialpeer. Once the analog phone has dialed all the digits, a digit analysis will take place to determine if there is a matching dialpeer. Once the VOIP dialpeer is identified, call leg 2 is established. This will be your outgoing dialpeer.

Similarly, on the terminating gateway, call leg 3 is established once a VOIP dialpeer is matched to receive the call from the originating gateway. This will be your incoming dialpeer. A digit analysis takes place again and a POTS dialpeer for the analog phone is matched. This will be your outgoing dialpeer.

You can see which dialpeers (incoming and outgoing) are matched on both gateways by running "debug voip ccapi inout".

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

Hi Sarah,

For call leg 3 (which is a voip leg), the router selects an inbound dial peer by matching the information  elements in the setup message with the dial peer attributes. The router  attempts to match these items in the following order:

1. Called number with the incoming called-number command

2. Calling number with the answer-address command

3. Calling number with the destination-pattern command

4. Incoming voice port with the configured voice port            

The router must match only one of these conditions. It is not necessary  for all the attributes to be configured in the dial peer or that every  attribute match the call setup information; only one condition must be  met for the router to select a dial peer. The router stops searching as  soon as one dial peer is matched and the call is routed according to the  configured dial peer attributes. Even if there are other dial peers  that would match, only the first match is used.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Sarah,

My bad, I should have given you an example with that explanation as well :-) Here is an example from my lab router:

dial-peer voice 1000 voip

session protocol sipv2                              --> Optional: If you want to configure a SIP trunk between both gateways. Else dont enter it and it will be an                                                                     H.323 dialpeer by default.

session target ipv4:10.104.149.118            --> Optional: If you want to have multiple incoming dialpeers, then you can map them to different originating                                                                     gateways by entering this command.

incoming called-number .                          --> This is mandatory. It will catch all incoming called numbers. If you want to specify an explicit number or                                                                     pattern, then you can do so as well.

dtmf-relay sip-notify                                  --> Optional: If you do not enter any dtmf command, the call will work but dtmf will not.

Here is a simple H323 inbound dialpeer:

dial-peer voice 1001 voip

incoming called-number.

session target ipv4:10.104.149.118

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Sarah,

Period (.) matches any entered digit (this character is used as a wildcard). So it is a catch all dialpeer for incoming calls.

Here is a link which talks about some other options as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_i1.html#wp1112139

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

9 Replies 9

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

In order to understanding incoming and outgoing dialpeers, you need to understand the call legs involved in a specific call. Please refer to the following image:

/image/gif/paws/12164/in_out_dial_peers1.gif

Assume, POTS on the source end is the calling party analog phone and on the destination end is the called party analog phone. As soon as analog phone on source end will go offhook, call leg 1 is established and POTS diapeer is matched. This will be considered as incoming dialpeer. Once the analog phone has dialed all the digits, a digit analysis will take place to determine if there is a matching dialpeer. Once the VOIP dialpeer is identified, call leg 2 is established. This will be your outgoing dialpeer.

Similarly, on the terminating gateway, call leg 3 is established once a VOIP dialpeer is matched to receive the call from the originating gateway. This will be your incoming dialpeer. A digit analysis takes place again and a POTS dialpeer for the analog phone is matched. This will be your outgoing dialpeer.

You can see which dialpeers (incoming and outgoing) are matched on both gateways by running "debug voip ccapi inout".

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Thanks Harmit.

I am trying to understand call leg 3 in your example.  Let assume the dialed number is 7777. Our terminating gateway is configured for call leg 4 as follows:

Router(config-dial-peer)#dial-peer voice call-leg-4  pots

Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 7777

Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/1/0

The question is how do we configure call leg 3 that is the incoming dial peer on terminating gateway?

thanks and have a great day.

Hi Sarah,

For call leg 3 (which is a voip leg), the router selects an inbound dial peer by matching the information  elements in the setup message with the dial peer attributes. The router  attempts to match these items in the following order:

1. Called number with the incoming called-number command

2. Calling number with the answer-address command

3. Calling number with the destination-pattern command

4. Incoming voice port with the configured voice port            

The router must match only one of these conditions. It is not necessary  for all the attributes to be configured in the dial peer or that every  attribute match the call setup information; only one condition must be  met for the router to select a dial peer. The router stops searching as  soon as one dial peer is matched and the call is routed according to the  configured dial peer attributes. Even if there are other dial peers  that would match, only the first match is used.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Thanks  Harmit.

What I am puzzle about is how to configure an inbound dial peer (  call leg.3 in our example))  so that our terminating gateway can receive  the call set up messages on its incoming dial peer 3?

Could you please give an example  of configuration showing call leg 3  on terminating gateway  assuming default setting for chosing incoming dial peers ? p

thanks

Hi Sarah,

My bad, I should have given you an example with that explanation as well :-) Here is an example from my lab router:

dial-peer voice 1000 voip

session protocol sipv2                              --> Optional: If you want to configure a SIP trunk between both gateways. Else dont enter it and it will be an                                                                     H.323 dialpeer by default.

session target ipv4:10.104.149.118            --> Optional: If you want to have multiple incoming dialpeers, then you can map them to different originating                                                                     gateways by entering this command.

incoming called-number .                          --> This is mandatory. It will catch all incoming called numbers. If you want to specify an explicit number or                                                                     pattern, then you can do so as well.

dtmf-relay sip-notify                                  --> Optional: If you do not enter any dtmf command, the call will work but dtmf will not.

incoming called-number.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Thanks Harmit.

incoming called-number.

Above " incoming called number " has no number specified. My question is in absence of any number as in above case,how will an incoming dial peer be matched assuming default settings for choosing an incoming dial peer?

thanks and have a weekend.

Hi Sarah,

Period (.) matches any entered digit (this character is used as a wildcard). So it is a catch all dialpeer for incoming calls.

Here is a link which talks about some other options as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_i1.html#wp1112139

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

This time my bad.

I did not notice the period (.) at the end of the command.  I got it now.  I can move to a next topic digit manipulation.

thanks and have a great weekend.

No worries Sarah, happens to the best of us. :-)

Regards,

Harmit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: