Helpful
Replies

Inbound call behavior on IP Phone

melissajwright
Level 1
Level 1

Situation:

7960 and 6961 devices.

Location has multiple shared lines across all devices.  7960 allow up to 6 calls and 6961 has 12 line configured.  When a call is in the "Connected" state the softkey template is configured to offer Hold, End Call, Transfer and More softkeys.  When a second inbound call comes into the shared line the device defaults to hightlight the new call and changes the softkeys to the "Ring In" state.  This is causing confusion to the users despite being told to use the rocker button to hightlight the active call again.

Is there a way to change the behavior on the device to not hightlight the new incoming call?  If so, is it possible to do this on a per phone basis or is it a service parameter only feature?

Thank you for your time,

Melissa

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Melissa,

Try changing the System setting Auto-Call Select. With this Enabled the Display Focus (and Softkeys) always switch to the new incoming call. So if disabled the focus and Softkeys will stay on Call #1.

Also available on an individual phone via this setting

Device>Phone>Phone Configuration>Product Specific Configuration>Auto Call Select>Disabled

Cheers!
Rob

Thank you, Rob!

Unfortunately this is not a configurable parameter on the 6900 series and second generation 7940/60 devices.  I have a TAC case open currently to find out the future availablity of this option on the 6900 series.

This solution is working for my third generation devices (41/61)

Regards,

Melissa

Do you know of any way to acheive this on CME.  I'm having the same issue for a client using CUCME and haven't had a lot of luck fixing this

Rob,

I've witnessed a similar but slightly different situation with a client running CUCM 8.5(x).  One of the users has several shared lines on her phone.  When she's on a call and a second call comes in on the same active line, it stacks below the first and changes the Softkey layout from "Connected" to "Ring In" as Melissa described.  When a second call rings in on a different line, that call stays hidden behind the call information of the existing call.  This is very troublesome for the user in question as she can't judge the importance of the inbound called based on calling party ID.

If the line button of the active call (which is solid green) is tapped, it hides the existing call information and Softkeys as usual but does not reveal the inbound call information of the second call.  (If I recall correctly) if the line button of the ringing line is tapped it answers the ringing call and automatically puts the first call on hold before allowing the user/operator to see who's calling.

Is there a parameter which will allow all inbound calls from multiple line appearances to "stack" as if they were all coming in on a single line appearance so the operator can see the inbound caller ID of all new calls?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

It sounds to me like you would need to enable "Auto Line Select"

as well

Auto Call Select

Indicates whether the phone automatically shifts the call focus to an  incoming call on the same line when the user is already on a call.

When this option is enabled, the phone shifts the call focus to the most recent incoming call.

When this option is disabled, all automatic focus changes, including  Auto Line Select, are disabled regardless of their setting.

Default: Enabled

Use Cisco Unified CallManager Administration > Device > Phone >
Phone Configuration

Auto Line Select

Indicates whether the phone shifts the call focus to incoming calls on all lines.

When this option is disabled, the phone only shifts the call focus to  incoming calls on the line that is in use. When this option is enabled,  the phone shifts the call focus to the line with the most recent  incoming call.

Default: Disabled

Use Cisco Unified CallManager Administration > Device > Phone >
Phone Configuration

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Thanks, Rob!  I'm going to come out of this engagement looking like a rockstar thanks to these finds.  What doc did you pull them from?  CUCM admin guide?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

You are most welcome my friend

I always thought these field descriptions would come from a CUCM

guide.... but they actually came from a phone/admin guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7961g_7961g-ge_7941g_7941g-ge/5_1/english/administration_sccp/guide/7961net.html#wpmkr1040192

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Ok, I just thought of another question.  If we leave "Auto Line Select" disabled is there a way to manually shift focus from the current call to the inbound call on the second line?  The receptionists I'm working with are weirded out enough by "losing their buttons" as it is with the "Auto Call Select" being enabled.  Is there some way to manually toggle between lines to see inbound calls BEFORE answering and without losing the current call?

I found this in the 79xx user guide but it doesn't mention anything about viewing the ringing call (to figure out who's calling!) - only switching to it.

If you want to...

Then...

Switch between connected calls on one line

1. Make sure the call that you want to switch to is highlighted.

2. Press Resume.

Any active call is placed on hold and the selected call resumes.

Switch between connected calls on different lines

Press for the line that you are switching to.

If a single call is holding on the line, the call automatically resumes. If multiple calls are holding, highlight the appropriate call and press Resume.

Switch from a connected call to answer a ringing call

Press Answer, or if the call is ringing on a different line press (flashing). Any active call is placed on hold and the selected call resumes.

If you can find an answer you can kill two birds with one stone

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2126260

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: