Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound called number manipulation on CUCM

Alex9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, This is my scenario,

There are two sites in our network with centralized CUCM deployment.

----HQ: 4 digits DN; DID number ranges: 8888XXXX
----Site A: 3 digits DN; DID number ranges: 66660XXX

A CUBE is deployed in HQ providing the only SIP trunk to the service provider.

Regarding the inbound called number manipulation, I believe there are two methods:

1-Configure the voice translation rules on the CUBE. In this case, the CUBE will translate the inbound called numbers to 4 or 3 digits DN and send it to CUCM.

2-Configure on the CUCM. Configure two called party transformation patterns which match the two called numbers: 8888XXXX and 66660XXX and cut them into 4 or 3 digits DN respectively. Partition is configured on the two called party transformation patterns. The CSS will be configured on the "Connected Party Transformation CSS" of the SIP Trunk to CUBE.

I believe method 1 will work. But am not sure about the method 2. And I don't have a lab to test it at this moment. 

Please advise, 

Many Thanks!

5 Replies 5

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your second schenario will be operational as well

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same setup as you where I get 10 digits from the carrier on a SIP trunk and use 4 digit DNs (except I have 100+ sites). The way I handle it is on the CUCM using translation patterns (not transformation patterns). Not sure how you could even use transformation patterns to accomplish what you are doing. See the link below that explains the difference

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/translation-and-transformation-pattern/td-p/2064657

Anyway, what you would do is create a CSS for your inbound SIP calls (SIP_Incoming for example) and that will be the CSS you put on your Inbound Calls CSS on your trunk in CUCM.  That CSS will contain only the partition called SIP_Inbound_Xlate for example.

You would then have translation patterns for  8888.XXXX and 66660.XXX in the SIP_Inbound_Xlate partition that drop the pre-dot and use the CSS of their respective site so the call is "dumped" off at the correct location with only the last four digits (the DN/Extension#)

Thanks, mikeleebrla

You are right, using translation pattern will be a more reasonable way to achieve it.

Hello,

Configuring translation rules on CUBE is better and also is comparatively easy for future changes.

- Rohan
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

HARIS_HUSSAIN
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You can use either 1 or 2 strategies.