Helpful
Replies

inbound FXO calls ring intermittently and cant be answered

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

Im having an issue Id like to get your opinions on:

I have a United States analog line coming into an FXO port on a cisco 2911.
The line is PLAR'ed to a single extension on our system (# changed to protect the innocent). (Normally it is pointed to a shared line but I pointed it to a single line for testing simplicity)
When a call rings in on this line, the caller (me on my cell phone) hears normal Ringing.
However on the extension end, the extension receives intermittent, half or less-cycle ringing, with the display breifly flashing unknown caller (for a second or less).
When the extension attempts to answer the call by picking up, or hitting line button - I just get dial-tone while the cell phone call continues to ring.

I even tried setting the extension to auto-answer but with no difference.

The port is configured:

voice-port 0/1/0
trunk-group PSTN
no battery-reversal
timeouts interdigit 2
connection plar +15553473080
description *** FXO Line ***
caller-id enable

Ive compared the port configuration, gateway sip trunk configuration, and over-all router configuration with another router in our system and didnt find anything startling.

Ive tried doing 'battery-reversal' and 'no battery reversal'
Ive tried switching from loop-start to ground-start
and, of course, I tried a 'shut' and 'no-shut' on the port

none of these made any difference whatever.

The port does not normally carry normal outbound calls (its a backup 911 line) so I havent tried pushing a call out of it.

I am hundreds of miles from the site, so cannot try just plugging an analog phone into the phone line.

I can see calls hitting the router and port. Ive tried running 'debug vpm' and 'ccapi inout' but frankly am not the greatest at reading those debugs. I'll attach/include a debug vpm, since its probably the more pertinant of the 2.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms or have any suggestions of additional things to try?
Am/Could I just be looking at a physical problem (telco line problem, bad port problem, bad demarc to router wiring/cross-connect?

thanks for your input

1 Reply 1

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

In case anyone runs into this in the future, it wound up being a hardware issue - After trying everything else we changed out the FXO card, which resolved the problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: