cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Install device pack CUCM 10.5.2

Sean Grubb
Level 1
Level 1

I am more just making sure this is okay to do. We had a couple of departments purchase new Cisco phones themselves without first consulting our IT staff (no surprise there) and the phones are unable to register because there isn't any supporting firmware on our servers to allow them to register. To remedy this I am going to install the newest device pack for 10.5.2. I have been through the installation instructions and I see that pre-11.0 versions of CUCM require full server reboots instead of just restarting specific services. Would I be able to go ahead and install the device pack and then wait to restart the cluster tomorrow when I planned to without any interruption of service?

My understanding is that it doesn't actually take effect until the reboot so I was hoping to save some time for myself when I come in tomorrow morning during the holiday by installing the device pack today and then just dealing with the cluster reboot and phone restarts tomorrow. Is this an acceptable method, or should I just do it all tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nashaatmusa
Level 1
Level 1

Your understanding is correct, Yes you can install the Device Package today, and restart the cluster whenever you want to activate it.

I have been doing this practice for more than 3 years now for the Device Package Installation and Restart

For me in a Maintenance window I don't like it to take more than 30 min in Total, so i do the installation in the morning and when the maintenance window comes i just do the restart.

Hope this confirm it for you 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nashaatmusa
Level 1
Level 1

Your understanding is correct, Yes you can install the Device Package today, and restart the cluster whenever you want to activate it.

I have been doing this practice for more than 3 years now for the Device Package Installation and Restart

For me in a Maintenance window I don't like it to take more than 30 min in Total, so i do the installation in the morning and when the maintenance window comes i just do the restart.

Hope this confirm it for you 

Awesome!

Thanks so much I'll do that then. That will save a lot of time. After the reboot do I need to restart the phones as well? I wasn't really sure if they would pull new firmware without a reset. No one will be here so if I do I won't have to worry about affecting any users.

Thanks for the answer!

for the phones it depends on the model when will the phone talk to the TFTP server to pull the configuration file like for 7940/60 they just need a force restart (they are EOS)

For me I do a Phone Restart As well... we are in maintenance window so no harm no fault 

Great! Thanks again!