Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent no ring on 78xx after firmware upgrade to sip78xx.12-6-1-0001-668

Bill Mungaven
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM 11.5.1-15900-18, 1 Publisher, 6 Subscribers, 2 TFTP, 2 MOH

I upgraded the firmware on my 78xx phones from sip78xx.12-5-1SR3-74 to 12-6-1-0001-668 and since then, I've received numerous complaints from contact center agents using 7841s of intermittently not getting an audible ring on  inbound calls. The agent can see the call in their Finesse desktop, they can see the red LED flash on the handset, and the display has the caller information, just no audible ring. The volume is turned up so this isn't the issue. It doesn't happen for every call and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's in internal or external call. It's intermittent so I haven't been able to duplicate it yet.

Resetting the phone resolves the issue temporarily but the problem eventually returns.

I opened a TAC case and I'm still gathering logs but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. The firmware was issued on 9/5 so it's fairly new.

10 Replies 10

Bill Mungaven
Level 1
Level 1

In doing some research, I found an old bug, CSCuo73206, from July 2014, which lists the exact symptoms I'm seeing. The bug is described as not getting ring volume when call made to 2nd line only flash. I forgot to mention in my original post that most of our agent lines are on line 2 of the agent phones. The bug status is terminated and the bug shows no release planned to fix this bug under known fixed releases.

As a test, I downgraded a couple of phones to see if the problem goes away. Waiting to see if that resolves the problem.

The phones I downgraded to sip78xx-12-5-1SR3-74 are working properly again. As a result, and based on the number of no-ring complaints I'm receiving, I decided to revert all 78xxs back to 12-5-1SR3-74.

My TAC engineer is looking at console logs for a couple of 7841s consistently having the no-ring issue but I haven't heard back yet on his analysis. From what I can see in the console logs, I don't see any difference between calls that ring and ones that don't ring.

On a side note, I upgraded 88xx phones to sip88xx.12-6-1-0001-668 and haven't had any reported issues of no ring (so far) so I suspect that version doesn't have the same no-ring problem.

After downgrading the firmware back to 78xx-12-5-1SR3-74 a few days ago, I've had no complaints of no audible ring. I've had no complaints from 88xx users on the same version yet so I think that version is fine.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one having this issue. I thought there was something unique to my CUCM version (11.5.1-15900-18 [SU5]) that might have caused this but I see that's not the case.

I hope this experience helped someone avoid this situation by skipping this firmware version.

Hi

I have this exact firmware on Two cisco 7821 and the problem is there, i deleted one phone to checkif it's because of the extension being on several phones

johns10t
Level 4
Level 4

Started seeing this behavior as well for our UCCX 12.0.1 agents. Thankfully, your post was the first to appear in Google search by searching for the version.

Edit: Started to get reports of non-UCCX phones having the issue, so I'm rolling back to the prior version for all 78xx. Also have not heard any issues about the 88xx phones with the 12.6 firmware.

Bill Mungaven
Level 1
Level 1

A new wrinkle to this saga. Now, I just got complaints from 5 88xx users of the same no-ring problem. These are the first complaints after having the firmware running for about a week.

I'm going to rollback the firmware on the 88xx phones to 12-5-1SR3-74 to see if this resolves the problem which I suspect it will.

I was informed by my TAC engineer that a defect has been opened for this problem. https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvr54598

I've had no further complaints after downgrading firmware.

Cisco has deferred the following releases due to CSCvr54598 : CP-78xx intermittently not ring after upgrade to 12.6.

cmterm-7832-sip.12-6-1-0001-668.k3.cop.sgn
cmterm-7832.12-6-1-0001-668.zip
cmterm-78xx.12-6-1-0001-668.k3.cop.sgn
cmterm-78xx.12-6-1-0001-668.zip

A deferral advisory notice was also sent out. 

Hi

we have the same issue and as one mentioned seemed to think it was because of the extension being on another phone,, we did disables the second phone,,,but wondering if i have to detach the extension from the device to test it properly.

The user says that when he sees the blinking line, he is able to press the + volume and then he hears it, seems like it resets on it's own but like the others intermittently

Ibrahim Shaik
Level 1
Level 1

I have simiar problem too no phone ring, I have recently upgraded the phones firmware for 78XX and 88XX to 12.7(1).

Do you know what is the fix other than Cisco bug CSCvr54598.

CUCM version: 11.5.1(SU6).