cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

International PSTN Info

jbillingsley
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have a good resource for identifying what equipment is needed and how it should be configured in different countries?

I'm specifically looking at setting up a circuit at an office in Belgium that I have no information on. Without actually contacting the telco over there is there anywhere that I can get details from? I have a 2901 router with a VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 that has been purchased for the project. I'm hoping that will work but am not sure without doing some research.

-Jake

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jake,

You cannot sell equipment without knowing circuit details and specs. The VWIC3-MFT is going to work for most PRI/E1/T1 circuits around the world unless G703 is required, in which case you need the more expensive G703 VWIC variant.  You need to have the customer or the provider tell you what type of circuit it is to spec properly.

Also, dont forget PVDMs here.

HTH,

Chris

You cannot sell equipment without knowing circuit details and specs. The VWIC3-MFT is going to work for most PRI/E1/T1 circuits around the world unless G703 is required, in which case you need the more expensive G703 VWIC variant.  You need to have the customer or the provider tell you what type of circuit it is to spec properly.

For voice PRI, the G.703 version is never required, because PRI is a framed application.

VWIC cards, of all generations, work for all countries of the world, none excluded.

Thanks for the info, Paolo!

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Thanks Paolo, I understand the unframed vs. framed concept, however I am puzzled why cisco advertises these as Voice or Data modules, even the name has VWIC not just WIC. From their documentation:

Feature Overview

Cisco E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN interface cards (VWICs) support voice and data applications in Cisco 2600 and 3600 series routers. The VWICs offer WAN interface  card (WIC) and voice interface card (VIC) functionality in a variety of  applications for enterprises and for service providers who supply  customer premises equipment.

I've configured few of these in Latin America and Europe as customers purchase these thinking that is what they needed based on specs from provider.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: