Views
Helpful
Replies

Intra-Site Networking between Unity Connection Clusters

jaameshaale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking into configuring intra-site networking between two connection clusters.  Do I need an SMTP server (MS Exchange) to be able to establish intra-site link between the unity connection clusters?

Thanks

James

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I just networked two uncxn clusters without using a smart host. The requirement is that if there is firewall between the clusters, then you need a smart hosto to relay smtp messages. However if there is no firewall then you do not need one. In my case there was no firewall between my clusters and it worked perfectly.

Please rate useful posts

"For the love of God is broader than the measure of man's mind And the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind"

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No that is not correct. Read the networking guide for details. There is even a check box to check if you want to route through smtp. I always integrate ucons itra sites without smtp.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can review options and requirements here:

Networking in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdg030.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I just networked two uncxn clusters without using a smart host. The requirement is that if there is firewall between the clusters, then you need a smart hosto to relay smtp messages. However if there is no firewall then you do not need one. In my case there was no firewall between my clusters and it worked perfectly.

Please rate useful posts

"For the love of God is broader than the measure of man's mind And the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind"

Correct, do not use smarthost unless you need to. This is simpler than it appears.  Just follow the guide and point one cluster at another.

Chris

Pls correct me if I am wrong.  My understand thus far is that a smart host is NOT needed if there is not FW in between the locations blocking SMTP and there is only ONE Unity Connection Server in the cluster. 

But, if there are  two Unity Connections in the clusters, and even though there is no firewall in place, you still need a smart host to route the traffic to the Subscriberr in case one of the Publisher in the fails.

Correct?

No As Chris said that is not correct..

I know where you are getting confused, it is this information from the design guide..

"If your site includes a Connection cluster, you must have a smart host available to resolve the SMTP domain of the cluster to both the publisher and subscriber servers in order for message traffic to reach the cluster subscriber server in the event that the publisher server is down"

However if you go to the networking guide at this url, it explains it better

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/networking/guide/8xcucnet020.html#wp1057943

Configuring a Smart Host

SMTP is used to transmit both directory information and messages between Cisco Unity Connection locations in a site.

If any pair of locations in the site cannot transmit and receive SMTP messages directly (for example, because a firewall separates the servers), you must configure these locations to route these messages through an SMTP smart host.

In addition, for each Connection cluster that you add to the site, you must configure all other network locations to route to the cluster through a smart host in order for message traffic to reach the cluster subscriber server in the event that the publisher server is down, and configure the smart host to resolve the SMTP domain of the cluster to the IP addresses of both the publisher and subscriber servers. For example, a network has a single smart host and the following three locations:

According to the documentation the only time you need a smarhost is when you have a firewallbetween your connectin clusters and they cant send smtp messages directly, you send them via a smart host.

Please rate useful posts

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No that is not correct. Read the networking guide for details. There is even a check box to check if you want to route through smtp. I always integrate ucons itra sites without smtp.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks all for your help on this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: