Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator and dialing out

Hello,

I am trying to configure my IP Communicator, and frankly, I have no idea what I'm doing.  I've managed to configure it far enough that it works for internal extensions, but not making external calls ("Your call cannot be completed as dialed").  My desk phone works just fine.  If I call my extension, both my desk phone and IPC ring.  I'm running Call Manager 10.5 and IPC 8.6.

A few questions, both directly and indirectly related:

1. I've gone line by line and can't see any differences between my desk phone config and the IPC phone.  Of course, there are some inherent differences since one is physical and one is virtual, but I don't see anything different that should matter.

2. The larger issue is that I don't have enough education to understand what I'm looking at.  I have prior experience on a ShoreTel VoIP system, but the CCM is a beast in comparison.  What I would really like is a class with a curriculum, or a book that's been organized to present ideas cogently (something like "Configuring Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Unity Connection", 2nd ed., but more recent than 2011).  Unfortunately, nothing seems to exist other than what's on Cisco's web site, and it's not really organized in a digestible format unless you already know what you're looking for.  I've never before run across a product that I couldn't find good documentation for.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zachary Hamilton

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi Zachary,

As you mentioned that the internal calls are working but not the external calls, its worth checking whether the device CSS and line CSS are fine for IPC as it might not allow external calls.

if the CSS is fine, then please confirm whether the IPC and the desk phone are configured to use SIP/SCCP for registration ?

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all helpful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi Zachary,

As you mentioned that the internal calls are working but not the external calls, its worth checking whether the device CSS and line CSS are fine for IPC as it might not allow external calls.

if the CSS is fine, then please confirm whether the IPC and the desk phone are configured to use SIP/SCCP for registration ?

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all helpful posts

Rajan,

Thanks.  There was a CSS that was not set.  If you or anyone else has any ideas about training or education, please let me know.

Thanks,

Zachary Hamilton